Global Co-Head of Life Sciences and Healthcare; Partner
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Randy Sutton practises dispute resolution and regulatory law.
Mr. Sutton has represented clients in the courts across Canada, in arbitrations (both domestic and international) and in a variety of administrative proceedings. He is a member of the British Columbia, Saskatchewan and Ontario bars.
His litigation practice includes the representation of clients in commercial, contract, class action, environmental, product liability, product recall, insurance, defamation and franchise matters. Mr. Sutton also provides ongoing regulatory advice in a variety of areas and has dealt with a number of federal and provincial regulatory authorities and represented clients in regulatory investigations. He has also conducted a number of internal investigations for clients concerning regulated conduct, and provides risk management advice.
Mr. Sutton is global co-head of our life sciences and healthcare industry group, the co-chair of our national class actions team and the partner responsible for professional liability matters in Ontario.
- J.D., University of British Columbia, 1997
- B.Admin., Simon Fraser University, 1994
- British Columbia 1998
- Ontario 2005
- Saskatchewan 2015
The following are examples of the matters Mr. Sutton has been involved in:
- Representing a multi-national pharmaceutical company in proposed class actions in Ontario, Alberta, Saskatchewan and British Columbia
- Representing a consumer goods company in obtaining a retraction of incorrect media coverage and related litigation arising
- Representing various defendants in class actions in Ontario, Saskatchewan and British Columbia alleging violations of the Competition Act
- Representing a medical device manufacturer in proposed class action litigation arising from a product recall
- Representing a pharmaceutical company in its defence of class actions in British Columbia, Saskatchewan and Ontario arising from litigation under the PM(NOC) Regulations
- Representing a United States company in an international arbitration seated in Canada and related litigation in the Federal Court of Canada
- Representing a consumer goods company in its defence of a motion seeking to certify a class action alleging misleading advertising
- Representing a franchisor with respect to a rescission claim by a franchisee and a claim challenging the validity of a non‑competition clause
- Representing a franchisor with respect to a claim for damages arising from the termination of a franchise agreement
- Representing a technology company in litigation alleging the improper use of intellectual property
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2020: recommended in Class Actions
- Acritas Stars, 2020: Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Acritas Stars, 2019: Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- LMG Expert Guides, recognized for Canada in the areas of Non-IP Litigation and Enforcement and Regulatory, 2020
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide, 2019-2020: Litigation - Product Liability, Chambers and Partners, 2019-2020
- Best Lawyers, Canada, 2018 - 2020 : Class Action Litigation
- Client Choice, USA & Canada 2014: Individual Winner for Arbitration, Toronto
- "Product Liability," Life Sciences Law in Canada, 2nd Edition, March 2019
- "Recent Developments in Canadian Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Product Liability Class Actions," DRI - For The Defense, September 2017.
- Developments in Privacy Law Class Actions in Canada, Vancouver, October 2018
- Developments in Consumer Protection Law in Canada, Montreal, May 2018.
- Food Law TeleSummit, Norton Rose Fulbright Canada, Toronto, November 2016.
- Developments in International Class Actions, Osgoode Hall Class Actions Conference, Toronto, April 2015.
- Canadian Anti-Spam Legislation, Client seminar, Norton Rose Fulbright Canada, Toronto, May 2014.
- Update on Product Liability Litigation in Canada, Client seminar, Norton Rose Fulbright Canada, Toronto, April 2014.
- Norton Rose Pharmaceutical and Life Sciences Seminar, Litigation Update, April 2013.
- Recent Developments in Product Liability Cases, Ontario Bar Association, 4th Annual Class Actions Colloquium, December 2012.
- Lexpert Seminar, Canada Consumer Product Safety Act, Toronto, December 2011.
- Association of Corporate Counsel Convention, Cross-Border Litigation, Denver, CO, October 2011.
- Ontario Class Action Liason Committee (2018-2019)
- Canadian Bar Association (1998 to present)
- British Columbia Bar Association (1998 to 2005) Vancouver Civil Litigation Subsection co-chair (2003-2005)
- Ontario Bar Association (2005 to present)
- Ontario Bar Association Class Actions Executive Member (2011-2017, 2018-2019)
- Ontario Bar Association Health Law Section Executive Member (2016-2017)
- Norton Rose Fulbright Canada United Way Campaign and Charitable Giving Campaign co-chair (2010-2015)
- The Advocates' Society (2005-present)
- Defence Research Institute, Class Actions and Multi-Party Litigation, international vice-chair (2016-2017)
October 29, 2018
June 20, 2018
Publication | July 14, 2020
Update | July 10, 2020
Arbitrating disputes in the pharmaceutical, life sciences and healthcare sector in the era of the COVID-19 pandemic
Publication | June 04, 2020
Publication | April 07, 2020