Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Kevin C. Mayer is a partner in Norton Rose Fulbright's Los Angeles and San Francisco offices. He has litigated and tried cases in multiple federal, state, territorial, and tribal courts, as well as before government agencies and administrative bodies. His exceptional skill in the courtroom is evidenced by his role as counsel-of-record in some of the most important appellate decisions for tort litigation defense over the past 25 years. Kevin also has an active counseling practice, representing clients facing regulatory enforcement at both the state and federal level. Kevin frequently represents clients in the oil and chemical, sporting goods and fitness, cannabis/CBD, energy, medical device, industrial and consumer products, manufacturing, and construction industries, and academic institutions.
Kevin has vast experience addressing complex scientific, medical, regulatory, and technical issues that are of pivotal importance to the companies' positions. These matters include medical device litigation, in which he has represented a major manufacturer in their federal and state court product liability lawsuits, civil and administrative law trials and appeals for industrial and commercial entities' alleged violations of the federal and states' OSHA and environmental statutes as well as California's Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986 (Proposition 65) and the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA). Kevin counsels clients on Proposition 65 statutory compliance, the U.S. Domestic Hemp Production Program Rules, and "Green Chemistry" regulations. He frequently speaks on civil trial and administrative law practice and he has spoken to various trade associations and their members from coast-to-coast.
As one of the country's preeminent trial attorneys in the defense of water-borne pathogen litigation, Kevin assists clients in dealing with individual and community disease outbreaks caused by viral, bacterial, algal, and protozoan contamination of municipal and building water systems. His work includes routinely handling Legionnaire's Disease cases arising from bacterial amplification in cooling towers and other water features. Members of industry turn to Kevin for his guidance on the legal ramifications associated with increased government scrutiny and regulation of systems management.
While in law school, Kevin was an extern to the Honorable Eugene F. Lynch, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California. Kevin is admitted to practice before all federal and state courts in the State of California, and has been admitted pro hac vice in numerous federal, state, and tribal jurisdictions.
JD, University of California, Hastings College of the Law
BA, University of California, Berkeley
- California State Bar
- Serves as regional trial counsel for several major American chemical and products companies in toxic tort, mass tort, and asbestos/talc litigation, and works with national coordinating counsel on the clients' medical and scientific evidentiary and expert witness issues.
- Serves as national coordinating trial counsel for major American sporting goods manufacturer in asbestos and talc litigation, including successful resolution of one of the first pericardial mesothelioma cases to ever proceed to trial.
- Serves as designated trial counsel in western U.S. for Fortune 100 conglomerate and its national coordinating counsel in asbestos personal injury and wrongful death litigation.
- Represents a preeminent California winery in environmental regulatory, civil and administrative proceedings arising from a storage tank failure and resultant spill to local waterways.
- Served as defense trial counsel in negligence and OSHA violation wrongful death lawsuit for industrial farm accident, successfully resolving the case during pretrial hearings.
- Coordinated client internal investigation and work with Cal OSHA during its investigation of industrial facility detonation incident, appealed and litigated Cal OSHA citations, and negotiated successful resolution of same immediately prior to trial.
- Handles federal, state, and Cal OSHA compliance counseling and incident investigations and citation appeals for various industries and facilities, including government military contractors, energy companies, industrial equipment vendors, and high-rise buildings.
- Represents international transportation-rental giant in California class action products liability lawsuit, and counseling on related matters for client.
- Represented one of the world's largest art glass manufacturers in U.S. EPA and state proceedings involving hazardous air pollutants (HAPs) and potential violations of the federal Clean Air Act.
- Served as principal defense trial counsel for a medical device manufacturer in mass tort multi-plaintiff federal and state court products liability lawsuits alleging design, manufacturing and warnings defects, fraudulent misrepresentation and concealment, and breach of warranties.
- Served as defense trial counsel in toxic tort litigation involving claims of Toxic Shock Syndrome, transverse terminal limb reductions, and Legionnaire's Disease.
- Defending a water treatment chemistry company in toxic tort, product liability wrongful death case alleging leukemia from solvents and other chemical exposures, and in mass tort litigation involving refinery catalysts.
- Served as trial counsel for several chemical product manufacturers in three trial groups of dozens of plaintiffs alleging cancer and systemic disease from alleged exposures in Lockheed's "Skunk Works" facilities in the Lockheed Worker Coordinated Judicial Proceedings in Los Angeles.
- Handles Proposition 65 compliance counseling, violation notice investigations, litigation, and industry-wide resolutions for myriad domestic and international companies whose products are alleged to contain excessive concentrations of various carcinogens and reproductive toxins, including lead, phthalates, bisphenol A, benzene, TDCPP, and hexavalent chromium.
- Serves as defense counsel for a Fortune 100 food and beverage company in a Proposition 65 suit concerning allegations of acrylamide exposure from multiple products.
- Served as litigation and trial counsel for a large herbicide manufacturer in multi-district litigation proceedings involving claims of property damage, misbranding, and mislabeling.
- Trial counsel for a major international generic pharmaceutical company in nationwide federal and state court litigation against the industry, alleging Medicaid overpayments for prescription drug reimbursements.
- Served as National Coordinating Counsel in the federal Multi-District Litigation proceedings, and defense liaison counsel in the coordinated California state court actions defending the formulators and encapsulators of nutritional supplements in the national L-tryptophan products liability litigation.
- Served as a coordinating and litigation counsel for numerous product manufacturers and distributors in the New York, Minnesota, and California IBM Worker Litigation, addressing personal injury and wrongful death claims from cancer, birth defects, and other reproductive consequences.
- Represented the real estate development arm of a Canadian conglomerate in construction defect litigation throughout California.
- Served as National Trial and Coordinating Counsel for a major American company contesting claims of fraudulent misrepresentation, concealment, and conspiracy arising out of its historic investigative efforts, research, and publications on occupational hazards posed by exposure to industrial chemicals and minerals.
- Southern California Super Lawyer, Thomson Reuters, 2006 - 2018
- Burton Award for Legal Achievement, The Burton Awards, 2006
- Bet Tzedek Pro Bono Justice Award, 2015
- Senior Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Co-author, "OSHA compliance, investigations and citation appeals" Norton Rose Fulbright - Legal Update, October 20, 2020
- Moderator, "Back-to-work in the COVID-19 era: Concerns for employers and real-world best practices," Webinar, October 28, 2020
- Speaker, "Cal / OSHA citations during the pandemic: Are you vulnerable?" Webinar, September 9, 2020
- Speaker, "Pandemic response in the American workplace: The OSHA story," Webinar, June 1, 2020
- Speaker, "Reopening the California workplace: Employment and OSHA concerns companies face," Webinar, May 1, 2020
- Speaker, "US: State of the Union: COVID-19 now," Webinar, April 6-27, 2020
- Speaker, "US: State of the Union: COVID-19 now," Webinar, March 16-30, 2020
- Speaker, "Harnessing the Power of Storytelling in the Courtroom" Podcast, February 8, 2021
- Speaker, "Lets Talk About Money: How to Navigate Conversations About Cost, Budgets & Value in a Way that Builds Trust," Webinar, April 28, 2021
- Co-Chairman, Sports & Fitness Industry Association (SFIA) Legal Task Force
- Defense Research Institute's Toxic Tort and Environmental Law Committee
- Member, Steering Committee
- Member, Trial Tactics Subcommittee
- Scientific Advisory Board for the Association for Environmental & Health Sciences Foundation
- Private Directors Association, Los Angeles Chapter
- Kevin served as a four-year member of the Board of Governors for the Association of Business Trial Lawyers, Los Angeles Chapter.
- Kevin served for five years as a Board member for the Constitutional Rights Foundation, Los Angeles Chapter.
- Coach for the Los Angeles Kings Legends League and High School Spring League, working with high school hockey players.
- Trial Law Institute
- Diversity Law Institute
June 28, 2021
June 18, 2020
February 25, 2020
Publication | July 23, 2021
Publication | July 08, 2021
Publication | July 08, 2021
Publication | July 08, 2021