Gregory B. Bordan
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Gregory B. BordanvCard
Related services and key industries
Gregory Bordan practises commercial and corporate litigation, including commercial disputes involving product liability, claims for latent defects, defense of class actions and constitutional law including Charter of Rights issues.
He regularly advises clients in complex regulatory matters including privacy law and corporate privacy policies, advertising and marketing, tobacco law, product recalls and language law, including the Charter of the French language and the implementation of francization programs. He represents clients notably in the pharmaceutical, tobacco and retail and manufacturing industries.
LL.B., McGill University, 1987
B.C.L., McGill University, 1987
M.Sc., London School of Economics and Political Science, 1976
B.A., Concordia University, 1975
- Ontario 1998
- Quebec 1988
- Imperial Tobacco Ltd., one of two plaintiffs in the constitutional challenge to the federal Tobacco Products Control Act (TPCA) before the Supreme Court of Canada and before the lower courts. The Supreme Court judgment in that case is a landmark decision on the issue of commercial expression under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms
- Imperial Tobacco Canada Ltd. in the constitutional challenge to parts of the federal Tobacco Act, successor legislation to the TPCA, before the Supreme Court of Canada and all lower instances
- The Commission of Inquiry into the Sponsorship Program and Advertising Activities (Gomery Commission) to put in place a system for the commission's massive undertaking of identifying, assembling and organizing government documents relevant to the commission's mandate
- Domtar Inc., a leading pulp and paper manufacturer, in a manufacturer’s liability case before all instances. The Supreme Court of Canada judgment in that case, which confirmed favourable judgments by the lower courts, addressed novel issues of law and constitutes a seminal judgment on manufacturer's liability under Quebec law
- Century 21 Canada (principal legal advisor in Quebec)
- Acritas Stars 2021 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Acritas Stars 2020 -- Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Acritas Stars 2019 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Acritas Stars 2018 – Designated as a "Star" lawyer by a panel of over 4,300 clients
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Appellate practice, product liability law, 2011-2021
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2012: recommended in Litigation – Product Liability
- “Cloud Computing: Terms & Conditions - Is the Cloud for you?” The Protection of Personal Information Beyond Borders, Toronto, January 17, and Montreal, January 18, 2012.
- “Recent Issues and Developments in Consumer, Marketing and Internet Advertising Law - Internet Marketing: Where to Sue, Where to be Sued?” Quebec Bar accredited seminar at Ogilvy Renault, September 14, 2010.
- “Marketing Law: Recent Developments in Internet Advertising,” Canadian Bar Association, January 2010.
- Panelist at an American Bar Association colloquium, speaking on the use of litigation support in everyday practice, August 1998.
- “Supreme Court of Canada, the Government of Canada and Tobacco Advertising,” presented at international conference entitled Advertising in Europe: A Right to Choose, Lisbon, Portugal, 1996.
- Panelist at colloquium: A Critical Analysis of the Charlottetown Accord, 1992.
- Panelist at a colloquium sponsored by McGill University on the Supreme Court of Canada decision: Attorney General of Quebec v Ford,  2 SCR 712, 1988.
- Canadian Bar Association
Publication | April 9, 2021
Publication | July 16, 2020
Publication | July 14, 2020
Publication | May 22, 2020