Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Sophie Melchers practises mainly in the areas of commercial, corporate and securities litigation. She has represented clients before the Quebec courts and the Supreme Court of Canada in connection with disputed take-over bids, dissenting shareholder remedies, plans of arrangement, insider trading and market manipulation.
Her broad expertise in securities litigation also encompasses representation of reporting issuers in connection with investigations conducted by the AMF, Quebec's securities regulator, into insider trading, market manipulation and continuous disclosure and their representation in defence before the Tribunal administratif des marchés financiers and the penal courts in proceedings instituted by the AMF.
LL.B., Université de Montréal, 1993
Canadian Securities Course
Introduction to Derivatives, Derivatives Institute
- Quebec 1994
Ms. Melchers is currently acting or has acted in the following matters:
Corporate and Securities Litigation
- Various public issuers and some of their executives (including the former CEO of Amaya Gaming) in the context of investigations or lawsuits by the AMF in connection with alleged tipping, insider trading and market manipulation
- SNC-Lavalin Group Inc. in connection with a confidentiality order issued by the AMF
- Resolute Forest Products (formerly AbitibiBowater Inc.) in connection with its hostile takeover bid for Fibrek Inc., including on several cease trade applications in respect of poison pills and a private placement of special warrants
- Fibrek Inc. in litigation with dissenting shareholders on the fair value of its shares
- Hydro‑Québec in its successful motion for declaratory judgment asking the court to confirm that Hydro‑Québec will not be obliged to limit its requests for energy deliveries from CF(L)Co under the long‑term supply contract between Hydro‑Québec and CF(L)Co to fixed monthly blocks from 2016 to 2041 (in appeal)
- Hydro‑Québec in the unsuccessful application by CF(L)Co seeking the revision of the pricing terms of the long-term supply contract between Hydro‑Québec and CFLCo (in appeal)
- BMO Nesbitt Burns and one of its investment advisors in a suitability claim
- Lexpert®/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, 2019: most frequently recommended in the area of Corporate Commercial Litigation
- Chambers Canada, Quebec: Litigation: Securities (Band 1), Chambers and Partners, 2020
- Chambers Canada, Quebec: Litigation – General Commercial, Chambers and Partners, 2020
- The Legal 500 Canada: Dispute Resolution - Quebec (Leading Lawyer), 2020
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers (2015) and Litigation Counsel of America (2017)
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2018-2019: recommended in Class Actions; 2012-2019: recommended in Litigation - Corporate Commercial; Litigation - Securities
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2010-2017: Corporate and Commercial Litigation
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2017: Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Chambers Global: Canada, 2014-2015: Dispute Resolution: Quebec
- Benchmark Canada, 2012-2016: recognized as a local litigation star in Quebec; Litigation star in Canada, namely in Securities 2012-2017; Top 25 Women in Litigation – Canada, 2014-2017
"The Power of Securities Commissions to Compel Testimony: A Comparative Perspective," with J. Beaudoin and F.N. Nadima, in Annual Review of Civil Litigation 2017.
- Directors' Liability and Governance," conference presented with T. Dorval at the Institute of Corporate Directors' Governance College, Montreal, February 2010 and 2011, April 2013 to 2017 and November 2018.
- "White Collar Investigation and Prosecution" (panelist, with D.J. Fetterman and S. Seida), New York Bar Association, October 26, 2018.
- "Éviter les écueils lorsqu'en possession d'information privilégiée" (panelist, with M. Bédard, AMF and J. Demers, Manac), Canadian Bar Association, November 7, 2017.
- "The Exercise of the Public Interest Jurisdiction by Regulators: Challenges, Opportunities, and Perspectives" (panelist, with S. Rousseau and N. Kanji), 2015 Biennial Commissioners Conference, Montreal, June 2, 2015, and CSA conference, Montreal, November 4, 2016.
- American College of Trial Lawyers
- Quebec Province Committee and Canada-United States Committee
- Litigation Counsel of America
- Barreau de Montréal (Montreal bar)
- Chair of the Liaison Committee with the Tribunal des marchés financiers (2014 – 2018)
- Canadian Bar Association