Senior Partner, Canadian Head of Corporate Governance
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
- Antitrust and competition
- Business ethics and anti-corruption
- Corporate, M&A and securities
- Environmental, social and governance (ESG)
- Regulation and investigations
Thierry Dorval practises securities law and competition law. He acts in a wide range of transactions such as mergers, business acquisitions and dispositions.
He is chair of our governance and directors’ liability team. Mr. Dorval frequently reviews the governance policies and practices of Canadian corporations listed on both Canadian and US stock exchanges. He also regularly advises boards and management on directors and officers’ liability issues and independent committee deliberations.
Mr. Dorval also acts for public and private corporations in Canadian and multinational merger transactions and in competition law investigations.
He is the author of Governance of Publicly Listed Corporations published by LexisNexis.
- LL.D., University of Ottawa, 2007
- LL.M., Université Laval, 1997
- LL.B., Université Laval, 1995
- M.B.A., University of Oxford, 1998
- Quebec 1996
Clients for whom Mr. Dorval has acted recently include:
- Industrial Alliance Insurance and Financial Services Inc. - various financings (over $1.5 billion) and transactions
- Metro Inc. (over $5 billion) - various acquisitions, including Jean Coutu Group, A&P Canada, GP Group, Chevrefils Group and Adonis Group
- Laurentian Bank of Canada (over $2.5 billion) - various acquisitions, including Northpoint Commercial Finances, CIT Group, MRS Trust and AGF Trust
- Desjardins Group (over $50 billion in assets under management) - amalgamation of subsidiaries of Desjardins and of Credit Union Centrals
- Enbridge Income Fund Holdings ($30.4 billion) - acquisition of assets of Enbridge
- Jean Coutu Group ($500 million) - issuer bid and special dividend
- Ivanhoe Cambridge ($1.5 billion) - sale of assets to Cominar Real Estate Investment Trust
- Filgo (over $1 billion) - merger of Philippe Gosselin inc. and retail gas stations of Coop fédérée
- RONA inc. (over $4 billion) - various transactions, including sale to Lowe's and acquisition of Don Park Limited Partnership, TruServ Canada Inc. and Piercey’s
- Hydro-Québec (undisclosed amount) - acquisition of a 60% interest in Compagnie Hydroélectrique Manicouagan
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2018-2022: recommended in Competition Law; 2020-2022: recommended in Corporate Finance & Securities
- Acritas Stars 2019-2021 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Who’s Who Legal, Canada 2016 and 2018: Corporate Governance
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Director and officer liability practice, 2011-2022
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Corporate Governance Practice, 2022
- Acritas StarsTM 2018 – Designated as a "Star" lawyer by a panel of over 4,300 clients
- Recommended by PLC Which Lawyer in the field of governance
- Ranked as one of Canada’s corporate lawyers to watch by Lexpert magazine in 2010
- Ranked as one of the best lawyers in Canada under 40 by Lexpert magazine in 2009
- "Recent trends in governance and executive compensation" (jointly with Kim Thomassin, Debra Sisti, Tony D'Onofrio and Gilles Leclerc) Montreal, November 2018.
- "Competition Law: Better Safe Than Sorry" (jointly with Commissioner of Competition of Canada John Pecman and Madeleine Renaud), Institute of Corporate Directors, Montreal, February 2017.
- “Transformational Governance,” chairman of the organizing committee (co-chaired by Monique Leroux, Claude Mongeau and Michael Sabia), Institute of Corporate Directors, Montreal, September 2014.
- “Challenges Related to Globalization of Businesses” (jointly with Yvan Allaire, Jacynthe Côté, Yves Fortier and Pierre Marcouiller), Institute of Corporate Directors, Montreal, September 2013.
- “Crown Corporations Forum” (jointly with Marie Giguère, Jean-René Halde and Hubert Lacroix), Institute of Corporate Directors, Montreal, February 2012.
- “The Duties of Directors With Respect to Activist Shareholders and Their Advisors” (jointly with Stephen Jarislowsky and Robert Parizeau), Institute of Corporate Directors, Montreal, November 2011.
- “Directors in the Spotlight” (jointly with Louise Roy), Institute of Corporate Directors annual meeting, Montreal, September 2009.
- “Governance and Financial Markets in North America,” chairman of the organizing committee, Institute of Corporate Directors, Montreal, September 2008.
- “Les pratiques de gouvernance: Aspects coûts/bénéfices” (jointly with Pierre Genest, Stephen Jarislowsky and Michel Nadeau), Canadian Bar Association, Montreal, May 2008.
- Fellow, American College of Governance Counsel
- Institute of Corporate Directors
- Founding member and former president, Quebec chapter
- Institute of Corporate Directors/McGill University
- Lecturer, Directors Education Program
- Director, Scale.Ai
- Director, Orchestre Symphonique de Montréal (Montreal symphony orchestra)
- Director, Allo prof
- Director, Société des alcools du Québec (Quebec liqour board) (2013-2018)
- Director, Institute of Corporate Directors, Quebec Chapter (2012-2018)
- Director, Société d’Investissement Jeunesse (2010-2018)
- Director, Fondation de l'Orchestre symphonique de Montréal (Montreal symphony orchestra foundation) (2008-2014)
Publication | January 17, 2022
Webinar | November 23, 2021
Publication | August 16, 2021
Publication | December 11, 2020