Terence S. Dobbin
Managing Partner, Toronto Office, Senior Partner
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Terence S. DobbinvCard
Related services and key industries
Terence Dobbin focuses on mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance and public financings. He regularly advises acquirors and target companies in connection with negotiated transactions and unsolicited take-over bids. Mr. Dobbin has extensive experience with large, multijurisdictional transactions, including cross-border acquisitions and financings. He advises boards of directors and their committees on a variety of issues, including corporate governance matters. In his public financing practice, he acts for both issuers and underwriters.
Mr. Dobbin is managing partner of our Toronto office. He is qualified to practise in Ontario and Alberta and has practised in both of those provinces.
Mr. Dobbin served as special advisor to the Canadian commissioner of competition concerning hostile transactions.
- LL.B., University of Toronto, 1984
- Alberta 1996
- Ontario 1986
- Pacific Exploration & Production Corporation in its US$5.3 billion restructuring
- Barrick Gold Corporation in its C$7.3 billion acquisition of Equinox Minerals Limited (selected by Lexpert and Listed magazines as the 2011 deal of the year)
- CHC Helicopter Corporation in its C$3.7 billion acquisition by an affiliate of a fund managed by First Reserve Corporation
- Semtech Corporation in connection with its C$500 million acquisition of Gennum Corporation
- Richardson GMP Limited in connection with its acquisition of Macquarie Private Wealth Inc.
- Pacific Rubiales Energy Corp. in its acquisition of PetroMagdalena Energy Corp.
- Pacific Rubiales Energy Corp. in its acquisition of C&C Energia Ltd.
- Petrochemical Industries Company (Kuwait) in its joint venture with The Dow Chemical Company for the manufacture and sale of monoethylene glycol and diethylene glycol (EG)
- Diageo plc in its acquisition of the Seagram spirits and wine business
- Acritas Stars 2019 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Chambers Canada, Ontario: Corporate/Commercial, Chambers and Partners, 2019
- The Legal 500 Canada: Corporate and M&A (Leading Lawyer), 2019
- International Financial Law Review 1000, Canada: Mergers and Acquisitions (Highly Regarded), 2019
- Chambers Global, Canada: Corporate/M&A, Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2013-2017: recommended in Corporate Commercial Law; Mergers & Acquisitions
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2010-2017: Corporate Governance Practice, Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law
- Who's Who Legal, Canada 2014-2016: Mergers & Acquisitions
- Lectures on various corporate law topics
- Canadian Bar Association