Terence S. Dobbin
Managing Partner, Toronto Office, Senior Partner
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Terence S. DobbinvCard
Related services and key industries
Terence Dobbin focuses on mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance and public financings. He regularly advises acquirers and target companies in connection with negotiated transactions and unsolicited take-over bids. Mr. Dobbin has extensive experience with large, multijurisdictional transactions, including cross-border acquisitions and financings. He advises boards of directors and their committees on a variety of issues, often in business-critical situations. He is recognized in all directories as one of Canada's leading M&A lawyers.
Mr. Dobbin is managing partner of our Toronto office. He is qualified to practise in Ontario and Alberta and has practised in both of those provinces.
Mr. Dobbin served as special advisor to the Canadian commissioner of competition concerning hostile transactions.
LL.B., University of Toronto, 1984
- Alberta 1996
- Ontario 1986
- Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited in its $985 million acquisition of Helly Hansen, a leading global brand in sportswear and workwear based in Oslo, Norway
- Pacific Exploration & Production Corporation in its US$5.3 billion restructuring
- ICC Labs Inc. a leading South American cannabis producer and distributor, in its $290 million acquisition by Aurora Cannabis Inc.
- Barrick Gold Corporation in its C$7.3 billion acquisition of Equinox Minerals Limited (selected by Lexpert and Listed magazines as the 2011 deal of the year)
- CHC Helicopter Corporation in its C$3.7 billion acquisition by an affiliate of a fund managed by First Reserve Corporation
- Semtech Corporation in its C$500 million acquisition of Gennum Corporation
- Richardson GMP Limited in its acquisition of Macquarie Private Wealth Inc.
- Pacific Rubiales Energy Corp. in its acquisition of PetroMagdalena Energy Corp.
- Pacific Rubiales Energy Corp. in its acquisition of C&C Energia Ltd.
- Petrochemical Industries Company (Kuwait) in its joint venture with The Dow Chemical Company for the manufacture and sale of monoethylene glycol and diethylene glycol
- Who's Who Legal: Canada - M&A 2020
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2020 recommended in Corporate Finance & Securities; Mergers & Acquisitions
- Acritas Stars 2020 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Acritas Stars 2019 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Chambers Canada, Ontario: Corporate/Commercial, Chambers and Partners, 2016-2021
- The Legal 500 Canada: Corporate and M&A (Leading Lawyer), 2016-2021
- International Financial Law Review 1000, Canada: Mergers and acquisitions (Highly Regarded), 2021
- Chambers Global, Canada: Corporate/M&A, Chambers and Partners, 2019
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Corporate Governance Practice, Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, 2009-2021
- Who's Who Legal: Mergers & Acquisitions and Capital Markets
- Lectures on various corporate law topics
- Canadian Bar Association