Adrienne F. Oliver
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Adrienne F. OlivervCard
Related services and key industries
Adrienne Oliver’s practice involves all aspects of tax planning and implementation, primarily in the corporate tax field.
She has participated in structuring major public and private transactions, reorganizations and financings, and has also acquired significant experience in international tax planning and public capital market transactions. Ms. Oliver has acted for clients in a diverse range of industries, including some of Canada’s most respected corporations. She has recently acted in take-over, spinoff, joint venture and restructuring transactions.
In addition, Ms. Oliver has acted for major North American financial institutions and other issuers in connection with both domestic and cross-border debt or equity securities offerings.
Ms. Oliver is the Toronto chair of the business law group.
LL.B., University of Ottawa, 1992
B.A., University of Toronto, 1987
- Ontario 1993
Ms. Oliver’s recent transactions include acting for:
- Canadian Tire Corporation in its C$1 billion acquisition of Helly Hansen
- As international counsel, Energizer Holdings Inc. in its US$2 billion acquisition of Spectrum Brands' battery business and its US$1.1 billion acquisition of Spectrum Brands' auto care business
- Frontera Energy Corporation in its US$5.5 billion debt restructuring
- TELUS Corporation on the completion of a public offering of C$1 billion in aggregate principal amount of new senior unsecured notes in two series
- Yamana Gold Inc. in its acquisition, with Agnico Eagle Mines Limited, of 100% of Osisko Mining Company’s outstanding common shares for C$3.9 billion or C$8.15 per share. The total offer consisted of approximately C$1 billion in cash, C$2.3 billion in Yamana and Agnico Eagle shares, and the creation of a new company (New Osisko) with an implied value of approximately C$575 million
- A syndicate of underwriters in the sale by Hudson’s Bay Company (Luxembourg) S.à.r.l. and its affiliate True North Retail Investments I, Inc. of an aggregate of 7,870,000 common shares of Hudson’s Bay Company at a price of $17.80 per common share, resulting in gross proceeds of approximately $140 million
- Performance Sports Group Ltd. (formerly Bauer Performance Sports Ltd.), a leading developer and manufacturer of high-performance sports equipment and apparel, in connection with an underwritten initial public offering in the United States on the New York Stock Exchange and a new issue in Canada of 8,161,291 common shares at a price to the public of US$15.50 per share, for total gross proceeds of approximately US$126.5 million, including the exercise in full of the over‑allotment option. Morgan Stanley, Bank of America Merrill Lynch and RBC Capital Markets acted as joint book‑running managers for the syndicate of underwriters in connection with the offering
- Pacific Rubiales Energy Corp. in its US$1.6 billion acquisition of Petrominerales Ltd. Pursuant to a plan of arrangement, Pacific Rubiales acquired all of the outstanding common shares of Petrominerales for C$11 cash per share in addition to one common share of a newly formed entity, Alvopetro Energy Ltd.
- Alcan Inc. with the spinoff of Novelis Inc. to its shareholders and the subsequent acquisition of Alcan Inc. by Rio Tinto plc
- Bowater Inc. in its merger with Abitibi Consolidated
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Tax, Chambers and Partners, 2016-2023
- Chambers Global, Canada: Tax, Chambers and Partners, 2016-2023
- The Legal 500 Canada, 2016: Tax
- PLC Which lawyer? 2011: Tax
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Tax Law, 2024
- Speaker at conferences on a variety of tax-related issues
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- International Fiscal Association
- Former instructor in taxation, Ontario Bar admission course
Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited completes C$600m private placement offering of unsecured medium term notes
September 19, 2023
February 23, 2023
January 05, 2023
April 09, 2022