Mark A. Convery
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Mark A. ConveryvCard
Related services and key industries
Mark Convery has extensive experience in business law generally and in corporate and securities law specifically. His experience includes mergers and acquisitions, private placements, public offerings, private equity fund formation and investments, corporate governance and investment funds. Mr. Convery has considerable experience in cross-border transactions and has advised clients at all stages of development from start-up to mature public companies, multinational companies and private equity funds.
LL.B., University of Toronto, 1983
B.A., University of Toronto, 1980
- Ontario 1985
Clients for whom Mr. Convery has recently acted include:
- The Canadian Press with its acquisition by Canadian Press Enterprises Inc.
- Nortel Networks Limited in its $242 million sale to Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson of its 50% plus 1 share interest in LG-Nortel Co. Ltd., a joint venture between Nortel Networks Limited and LG Electronics
- Nortel Networks Corp. in its US$1.13 billion sale to Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson of its CDMA business
- Borealis Infrastructure Management Inc. in its acquisition of the laboratory diagnostics services business of MDS Inc.
Mr. Convery has also acted for clients in the following matters:
- Mergers and acquisitions of private and public companies, both friendly and hostile, domestic and cross-border (including use of exchangeable share structures) and going-private transactions
- Corporate finance and securities, including private and public offerings of debt and equity securities in Canada and cross-border for companies ranging from initial financing rounds and initial public offerings to cross-border public offerings, for technology companies, industrial companies and public/private partnerships. In addition, advised with respect to directors and officers’ duties and obligations, registration matters, continuous disclosure, shareholders’ meetings and proxy contests
- Investment funds and wealth management, including establishment of and day-to-day advice on mutual funds and pooled funds, mergers of funds and fund groups and advice to wealth management service providers on a range of issues
- Private equity, including establishment of private equity funds and co-investment programs, representing both investor and investee companies
- Corporate and commercial law, including advising private and public companies on acquisitions, divestitures, licence, distribution and supply agreements, strategic alliances, shareholders’ agreements and other commercial contracts and transactions
- Bankruptcy and restructurings, including providing securities law advice on large, complex multijurisdictional restructurings and using bankruptcy legislation to acquire businesses
- Who's Who Legal: Canada - Private Funds 2020
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2020: recommended in Corporate Commercial Law; Corporate Mid-Market
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Mutual Funds Law, 2006-2021
- “The Establishment of an Independent Review Committee for Mutual Funds” (panel moderaor), 3rd Annual Compliance for Mutual Funds Conference, Federated Press, April 19, 20 and 21, 2006.
- “Due Diligence for Private Placements,” Due Diligence Conference, Federated Press, September 25, and 26, 1997, and April 28 and 29, 1999.
- “Initial Public Offerings – Considerations, Process and Content,” Financing New Companies: from Angels to IPOs, Canadian Bar Association – Ontario seminar, November 20, 1998.
- “Material Players and Material Contracts,” Structuring and Marketing Mutual Funds, Insight conference, June 23, 1994.
- “Raising Capital by Private Placement,” The Perilous Purchase; Preventing Problems – Fresh Perspectives on Business Acquisitions, Canadian Bar Association – Ontario seminar, September 30, 1988.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- International Bar Association
- Investment Funds Institute of Canada
- Securities Advisory Committee to the OSC, past member
- Coretec Inc., past board member
- International Verifact Inc., past board member
- Design Recovery Inc., past board member
- AgReliant Genetics Inc., past board member