Related services and key industries
Virginie Gauthier is a partner in our Toronto office and practises in the areas of banking, corporate and commercial law and restructuring, with a particular focus on insolvency and reorganization. Virginie has two decades of experience in domestic and cross-border transactions in which she has represented debtors, court officers, potential purchasers, financial institutions and bondholder committees.
Virginie is recognized as a leading practitioner of insolvency and restructuring law by several leading industry guides, including The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Chambers, IFLR1000, and Best Lawyers in Canada. Virginie is member of the Ontario and Quebec Bar associations.
B.C.L./LL.B., McGill University, 1995
- Ontario 1998
- Quebec 1996
Ms. Gauthier has acted in the following matters:
- Gymboree Inc., as counsel to the Company in its Canadian insolvency proceedings
- Sears Canada Inc., as counsel to the court-appointed Monitor FTI Consulting Inc. in the CCAA proceedings of Sears Canada Inc. and its affiliates
- As counsel to Pacific Exploration Corporation and Production (now Frontera Energy), a company dedicated to exploration and production of crude oil and gas, in its cross-border insolvency proceedings
- As Canadian counsel to Wells Fargo Bank, National Association in connection with the restructuring of Payless ShoeSource Group
- As counsel to Ernst & Young Inc. as monitor in the CCAA proceedings of Rubicon Minerals Corporation
- As counsel to the purchaser of the assets and business of FirstOnsite Restoration, a national disaster and emergency restoration expert, in the context of its insolvency proceedings
- As counsel to Mobilicity in the context of its proceedings under the CCAA
- As counsel to the ad hoc committee of secured bondholders and DIP Lenders in the CCAA proceedings of The Cash Store Financial Services Inc.
- As Canadian counsel to the committee of secured noteholders in connection with the potential restructuring of a North American mining company
- As counsel to Caisse de Depot et Placement du Quebec in connection with the CCAA proceedings of the Devonshire Trust (commercial paper)
- Nortel Networks Inc., as counsel advising the Nortel group of companies
- International Financial Law Review 1000, Canada: Restructuring and Insolvency (Highly Regarded), 2019
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Restructuring/Insolvency, Chambers and Partners, 2019
- Best Lawyers, 2018: Restructuring and Insolvency
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2018: recommended in Insolvency & Financial Restructuring
- “2010 Update on Insolvency Jurisprudence in Ontario,” 6th Annual Pan-Canadian Insolvency and Restructuring Law Conference, Montreal, September 13, 2010.
- “Overview of Security Review Considerations” and ”Security Review Checklist,” OBA Conference Centre, Toronto, October 26, 2009.
- “Hot Topics in Insolvency and Restructuring” (panel), CAIRP, 5th Annual Commercial Insolvency and Restructuring Session, Toronto, April 23, 2009.
- “Perfectionner l'enregistrement, la documentation et l’exécution des garanties au Canada et aux États-Unis,” Sixième conférence avancée sur le financement et les sûretés, The Canadian Institute, Montreal, January 28-30, 2009.
- “Anticipated Amendments to Federal Insolvency Statutes: New Statutory Charges and Priorities,” The Six Minute Debtor-Creditor & Insolvency Lawyer Conference, Law Society of Upper Canada, Toronto, April 22, 2008.
- “The Personal Property Security Act (Ontario)” and ”The Securities Transfer Act (Ontario): An Overview,” The Canadian Institute, Toronto, March 6, 2008.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Turnaround Management Association
- Insolvency Institute of Canada