Global Chair; Canadian Chair
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Walied Soliman is global chair and Canadian chair of Norton Rose Fulbright. He is also co-chair of our Canadian special situations team, which encompasses Canada’s leading hostile M&A, shareholder activism and complex reorganization transactions. Over the past several years, Mr. Soliman has been involved in almost every major proxy battle in Canada, acting for both issuers and activists. He is widely regarded as one of the leading special situations practitioners in Canada. In addition, his practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, restructurings, financings, corporate governance and structured products.
Mr. Soliman was the only lawyer recognized in the Globe and Mail's Report on Business Magazine Power 50 list for 2017; designated as a "Star Lawyer" by Acritas in 2017 for ranking in the top 28 lawyers globally (over 5,000 lawyers) as selected by a panel of over 3,000 senior in-house counsel; was ranked as a leading Canadian corporate lawyer by both Chambers Canada and Lexpert Canada since 2016; was named one of the 25 most influential lawyers in Canada by Canadian Lawyer magazine in 2014; ranked by Best Lawyers in Canada since 2013; and was ranked as one of the Top 40 Lawyers under 40 in Canada by Lexpert magazine in 2009. Among other philanthropic endeavours, Mr. Soliman is a board member of the Toronto SickKids Hospital Foundation.
LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School, 2001
- Ontario 2002
Mr. Soliman has recently acted as counsel to the following clients:
- The board of directors of Agrium Inc. in connection with Agrium’s US$36 billion merger of equals transaction with Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan Inc.
- InnVest Real Estate Investment Trust in connection with its $110 million underwritten prospectus offering and concurrent private placement and its $48.3 million underwritten offering under its $500 million base shelf prospectus
- Canadian Oil Sands Ltd. in connection with the defence of the unsolicited take-over bid made by Suncor Energy Inc., which ultimately resulted in a negotiated transaction representing a total transaction value of $6.6 billion
- Icahn Enterprises LLP in connection with its US$340 million acquisition of the US automotive aftermarket product distribution business of TSX-listed Uni-Select Inc.
- Mobilicity Group in its high-profile reorganization
- The special committee of KEYreit in its successful hostile takeover defence against Huntingdon Capital Corp.
- Agrium Inc. in its successful high-profile defence against JANA Partners LLC
- Mundoro Capital Inc. in a shareholder dispute with Northern Minerals Investment Corp. The successful defence established the “Advance Notice Policy” in Canada
- Viterra Inc. in a high-profile shareholder dispute with Alberta Investment Management Corp.
- Telus Corporation in a high-profile shareholder dispute with Mason Capital Management LLC. Defence of Telus led to leading Canadian case law on a variety of issues, including empty voting
- Acritas Stars 2019 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2019 – Mining Law; Natural Resources Law
- Chambers Global, Canada: Corporate/M&A, Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Chambers Canada, Ontario: Corporate/Commercial, Chambers and Partners, 2019
- The Legal 500 Canada: Corporate and M&A (Next Generation Lawyer), 2019
- International Financial Law Review 1000, Canada: Mergers and Acquisitions, 2019
- Only lawyer recognized in the Globe and Mail's Report on Business Magazine Power 50 list for 2017
- Acritas Stars, 2017 – Designated as a “Star” lawyer by ranking in the top 28 globally (over 5,000 lawyers) by a panel of over 3,000 senior in-house counsel
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, (2016-2017); recommended in Corporate Mid Market
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2014-2017 – Mining Law; Natural Resources Law
- Named as one of the 25 most influential lawyers in Canada by Canadian Lawyer magazine in 2014
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2013 – Mining Law
- Ranked as one of the Top 40 lawyers under 40 in Canada by Lexpert magazine in 2009
- “Are you Prepared for Changes in Corporate Governance?” 9th Annual Corporate Governance 2016: What You Need To Know, Toronto, December 2016.
- “Investor Influence - Are you Ready?” CPA Canada Annual Audit Committee Conference, Toronto, November 2016.
- “Non-standard Accounting Measures: The Media, Regulators, and Shareholders Zero In,” Norton Rose Canada LLP, October 2016.
- “Active-Passive Investor Summit,” Information Management Network (IMN), New York City, April 2016, April 2015, April 2014 and April 2013.
- CIRI 26th Annual Investors Relations Conference, Whistler, BC, June 2013.
- ICD National Conference, Toronto, May 2013.
- “Proxy fights: Shareholder Activist and Defense Update,” Norton Rose Canada, Toronto, March 2013.
- “Shareholder Activism: What IRO’s Need to Know,” CIRI Ontario luncheon, Toronto, February 2013.
- “The Activist Investor Conference 2013,” Deal Flow Media, New York City, January 2013.
- Canadian Bar Association
October 11, 2018
August 18, 2018
Norton Rose Fulbright advises Ontario Doctors on successful rejection of Physician Services Agreement
September 21, 2016
Webinar | Thursday, October 4, 2018
Webinar | April 27, 2017
Aurora/CanniMed: Canadian securities regulators provide guidance on takeover bids in Canada – Expect to see more hard lock-ups and fewer tactical poison pills
Publication | March 2018
Publication | December 2017