Related services and key industries
Trevor Zeyl practises corporate and securities law, with particular emphasis on public and private mergers and acquisitions, financings and corporate governance. Mr. Zeyl is also a member of Norton Rose Fulbright's special situations team, which encompasses Canada's leading hostile M&A, shareholder activism and complex reorganization transactions. Over the past several years, Mr. Zeyl has been involved in almost every major proxy battle in Canada, acting for both issuers and activists.
Mr. Zeyl was designated a "Top 40 under 40" Emerging Leader Award by M&A Advisor in 2018.
M.Sc., London School of Economics and Political Science, 2007
M.A., Wilfrid Laurier University, 2005
B.A.(Hons.), Wilfrid Laurier University, 2004
- Ontario 2012
Mr. Zeyl has acted recently for the following clients:
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Canadian Tire Corporation, Limited in its $985 million acquisition of Helly Hansen
- Parmalat Canada in its acquisition of Kraft Canada's natural cheese brand for $1.6 billion
- Agrium Inc. in connection with Agrium's US$36 billion merger of equals transaction with Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan Inc.
- Yamana Gold Inc. in its $3.9 billion acquisition, with Agnico Eagle Mines Limited, of Osisko Mining Corporation
- TELUS Corporation in its offering of 3.30% senior unsecured notes due May 2, 2029
- Royal Bank of Canada in connection with the registration of its covered bond program with the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC)
- FTI Consulting in its role as monitor overseeing the insolvency and liquidation proceedings of Sears Canada Inc.
- Data & Audio-Visual Enterprises Holdings Inc. in connection with the sale of Mobilicity to Rogers Communications Inc.
- Agrium Inc. in its successful high-profile defence opposite JANA Partners LLC
- TELUS Corporation in a high-profile shareholder dispute opposite Mason Capital Management LLC
- "Top 40 under 40" Emerging Leader Award (M&A Advisor; 2018)
- "Dealing with Exchange Rates - Currency Fluctuation and M&A," MergerMarket; May 1, 2015 [https://www.mergermarket.com/assets/TP_Newsletter_Currency-Fluctuations_Final_0.pdf]
- "Charting the Wrong Course: The Doctrine of Legitimate Expectations in Investment Treaty Law," Sept. 1, 2011; Alberta Law Review, Volume 49, Issue 1 (and cited in the Respondent's Memorial in Abaclat and others v. Argentine Republic, ICSID Case No. ARB/07/5; the ICSID Review, and the Human Rights Law Review) [https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1776429]
- "Shareholder activism in Canada: 2017," Ethical Boardroom [https://ethicalboardroom.com/shareholder-activism-in-canada-2017/]
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Volunteer Toronto
- London Goodenough Association of Canada