Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Aldo Argento practises primarily in the areas of insurance and construction litigation, aboriginal law and the defence of professional liability claims.
Mr. Argento has acted as counsel in the litigation and arbitration of a number of complex insurance and construction claims. These have included construction cost overrun and delay claims and disputes over policy interpretation and coverage. He also regularly acts on tort and fire loss claims, including matters involving the oil and gas and energy industry.
Mr. Argento has also acted in a wide range of matters in aboriginal law and advised government and industry in this area. The cases he has worked on have dealt with interpreting First Nation treaty rights throughout Alberta, including claims involving natural resources, aboriginal title, water rights and taxation. He regularly advises clients on various issues involving the duty to consult First Nations in the context of natural resources and project development.
Mr. Argento is the partner in charge of professional liability risks for Alberta.
LL.B., University of Calgary, 1988
B.A., University of Calgary, 1985
- Alberta 1989
Matters in which Mr. Argento has acted include:
- International commercial arbitration of oil sands insurance dispute involving issues relating to cost overrun/delay and construction/project management
- International commercial arbitration of contractual dispute relating to construction of oil and gas facilities
- Counsel in various tort and fire loss claims involving industrial and oil and gas facilities
- Defence of contractors, subcontractors and design professionals in various insurance and construction disputes
- Advising industry on all aspects of duty to consult with First Nations in context of oil and gas project development
- Defending First Nation claims to ownership and aboriginal title over lands and natural resources in Western Canada
- Reviewing and negotiating agreements with First Nations, including impact benefits, participation and traditional land use agreements
- Defence of professional liability claims
- Advising insureds on policy coverage and interpretation issues
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2017-2019: recommended in Indigenous Law
- William A. MacGillivray Gold Medallist, University of Calgary, 1988
- Faculty of Social Sciences Gold Medal, University of Calgary, 1985
- Federal Court of Appeal affirms Canada has no duty to consult BC First Nation before ratifying investment agreement with China, January 2015
- Supreme Court of Canada confirms Ontario authorized to take up and regulate Crown lands subject to Treaty 3, July 2014
- Supreme Court of Canada recognizes aboriginal title claim in historic decision, July 2014
- Alberta’s new policy on consultation with First Nations land and natural resource management, 2013, September 2013
- Aboriginal consultation – recent highlights, May 2013
- Consultation with First Nations – highlights from 2011 cases decided by Canadian courts, February 2012
- First Nation challenge to oilsands leases dismissed by Alberta court of appeal, February 2011
- Carrier Sekani and the B.C. utilities commission, November 2010
- “Supreme Court of Canada Confirms B.C. Government Must Consult With First Nations Where Crown Land Use May Impact Unproven Aboriginal Claims,” Aboriginal Law Bulletin, November 2004.
- “Critical Updates in Case Law and Legislation,” Aboriginal Law, Construction and Accommodation conference, The Canadian Institute, Toronto, Ontario, June 23, 2015.
- “Duty to consult and accommodate – Legal developments across Canada and their impact on natural resources projects,” Norton Rose Fulbright webinar, Calgary, Alberta, April 28, 2015.
- “Top Cases of the Past Year,” Norton Rose Fulbright client presentation, Calgary, Alberta, February 19, 2015.
- “Supreme Court of Canada’s Decision in Tsilhqot’in,” presentation at the Canadian Bar Association, Natural Resources Section, Calgary, Alberta, October 1, 2014.
- “Supreme Court of Canada’s Summer of Aboriginal Law,” Norton Rose Fulbright client presentation, Calgary, Alberta, September 23, 2014.
- “Canadian First Nations,” EUCI Conference - Oil & Gas Production on Tribal Lands, Denver, CO, February 2014.
- Guest Lecturer University of Calgary Law School, Real Estate and Aboriginal Law Classes, 2013‑14.
- “Oil and Gas Development in Canada and First Nations Issues,” Norton Rose Fulbright client presentation, Houston, Texas, November 12, 2013.
- “Aboriginal Consultation - The Challenges for Industry,” at CBA Corporate Counsel Subsection, October 2008.
- Western Canada Arbitrators RoundTable Second Annual Energy Arbitration Conference, May 2008.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Calgary Bar Association
- University of Calgary Senate, 1994 - 2000
Publication | March 20, 2019
Publication | March 2019
Publication | July 2017
Publication | May 2017