David A. Eeles
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
David A. EelesvCard
Related services and key industries
David Eeles has over 15 years’ experience representing project developers, sponsors, industrial hosts and other project participants in connection with the acquisition, development, construction, financing, operation, restructuring and disposition of energy, infrastructure and industrial projects, including renewable energy projects, power plants, cogeneration plants, heavy oil upgraders and public‑private partnership projects.
Mr. Eeles has acted as the lead lawyer on a number of such projects, and acts for clients on a wide range of legal matters—from responding to and/or drafting competitive bid documentation, to structuring and creating legal entities to own and operate projects, to drafting and negotiating all manner of key project documents.
In the oil sands area, Mr. Eeles represented OPTI Canada, the joint developer of a C$6.1 billion steam-assisted gravity drainage and heavy oil upgrading project in northern Alberta, which included negotiating and drafting several fixed‑price and reimbursable construction contracts, and also included a secondment period during which standard project procurement and construction documents were developed. Mr. Eeles has also represented the owners of multiple SAGD oil sands projects in negotiating and drafting their FEED and EPC contracts.
Mr. Eeles also represents other energy industry participants on a wide variety of project development matters. In the electricity area he recently represented the Alberta Electric System Operator on the development of the Fort McMurray West 500 kV Transmission Project, an approximately 500 km, $1.4 billion, high‑voltage transmission line project between Edmonton and Fort McMurray. He works extensively in construction law, where he represents various participants in public‑private partnership projects and other construction‑related matters.
LL.B., University of Alberta, 1995
B.Comm., University of Alberta, 1992
- Alberta 1996
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2020: recommended in Infrastructure Law
- Acritas Stars 2020 -- Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Acritas Stars 2019 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- “Project Finance Primer,” Canadian Bar Association’s corporate counsel section meeting, Calgary, AB, September 2010.
- “Direct Sales Agreements,” Insight’s Alberta Power Summit conference, Calgary, AB, February 2002.
- “Allocation of Risk in Power Purchase Agreements,” Insight’s Buying and Pricing Power in Alberta 2001, Calgary, AB, February 2001.
- Law Society of Alberta
- Calgary Bar Association
- Independent Power Producers Society of Alberta
- Association of Power Producers of Ontario