Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Rujuta Patel practises business law and competition law, with a focus on the resources and transportation sectors.
She advises on private mergers and acquisitions, corporate reorganizations and restructurings of multinational and Canadian organizations, private placements and a variety of energy-related matters. She works regularly with energy services companies and is experienced in drafting, negotiating and advising on a broad range of services, drilling and engineering contracts. She also drafts, negotiates and advises on all types of commercial contracts, including purchase and sale agreements, project documentation, supply agreements, service agreements, procurement policy and contract documentation, shareholder agreements and partnership agreements.
Ms. Patel also advises on competition matters and foreign investment review matters, and regularly deals with the Competition Bureau and the Investment Review Division of Industry Canada on such matters. She has extensive experience in representing clients from a wide range of industries on issues relating to the competitive impact of mergers, including those involved in all sectors of the oil and gas industry, as well as the energy services, construction, insurance and real estate industries. She also advises clients on the structuring of their business arrangements to ensure compliance with Canadian competition legislation. She has represented foreign investors from a number of different countries in obtaining approvals for their investments under the lnvestment Canada Act, and has prepared and filed applications for review and participated in negotiations regarding undertakings and approvals under the Investment Canada Act.
Ms. Patel’s practice includes advising on international commercial transactions, and she has participated in various transactions involving multiple jurisdictions. She is also a practising English solicitor and regularly advises on matters involving English law.
Ms. Patel joined our Calgary office in 2003 after moving to Canada from Kenya, where she practised corporate/commercial law with one of the leading Kenyan law firms after being called to the English Bar.
Kenya School of Law, 2001
Inns of Court School of Law, 1998
LL.B., University of Bristol, 1997
- Alberta 2004
- Barrister, qualified in England & Wales 1998
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales 2006
Ms. Patel has acted for the following clients recently:
- Kenan Advantage Group, the largest liquid bulk transportation services provider to the North American fuels, chemicals and merchant gas end markets, on transaction matters and regulatory matters in its acquisition by OMERS Private Equity (Canadian counsel to Kenan Advantage Group)
- Halliburton on transaction matters and competition matters in its acquisition of Europump Systems lnc., a progressive cavity pump systems and artificial lift equipment company
- Kenan Advantage Group in its acquisition of the RTL‑Westcan Group, a leading hauler of dry and liquid bulk commodities in Western and Northern Canada
- BOS Solutions Ltd., a Calgary‑based provider of drilling fluid treatment and recovery solutions to oil and gas exploration and production companies in Canada and the US, in its takeover by private equity firm Advent International
- A major US public company in a confidential transaction involving the proposed acquisition of a private Canadian‑based oilfield services company with operations in Canada, Mexico and several South American jurisdictions
She has also acted specifically as competition counsel and/or Investment Canada Act counsel to the following clients:
- Wolf Midstream Inc. on its acquisition of a 50% interest in the Access Pipeline System ($1.4 billion)
- Brookfield Asset Management on the acquisition of Niska Gas Storage Partners LLC, a privately traded natural gas storage business with facilities in Canada and the US ($1.1 billion)
- Mistral Energy Inc. and Mistral Midstream Inc. on the sale of the Vantage Pipeline and interests in the Saskatchewan Ethane Extraction Plant to Pembina Pipeline Corporation (US$650 million)
- Petrogas Energy, a Calgary‑based company that provides crude oil and natural gas liquids (NGL) total supply management and marketing services in Canada and the US, in the acquisition of a 66.7% stake in the company by a joint venture between Idemitsu Kosan Co., Ltd. and AltaGas Ltd. ($855 million)
- Petro‑Canada in its merger with Suncor Energy
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Lincoln’s Inn (UK)
- Law Society of Kenya
- International Bar Association