Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
- Environmental law
- Real estate
- Food and agribusiness
- Forestry products
- Government relations and public policy
- Environmental, social and governance (ESG)
Mélissa Devost has extensive experience in environmental law. She provides legal and strategic advice on environmental matters concerning Quebec, federal and municipal legislation. She also advises clients on obtaining environmental permits and authorizations and verifies environmental compliance in their operations. Ms. Devost conducts a number of environmental due diligence reviews in order to assess the environmental risks and compliance in connection with mergers and acquisitions and representations and warranties liability.
In particular, she advises clients on matters of contaminated lands, waste and hazardous materials management and, more generally, release of contaminants, wetlands, water bodies, watercourses and floodplains, storage of petroleum products, wastewater management and air emissions.
Ms. Devost also has experience in energy law, municipal law, agricultural law and, more generally, administrative law. She acts on behalf of clients on matters affecting the Commission de protection du territoire agricole du Québec, the Régie des marchés agricoles et alimentaires du Québec and the Administrative Tribunal of Quebec.
Prior to joining our firm, Ms. Devost worked for over eight years in the legal affairs directorate of the Quebec Department of Sustainable Development, Environment and the Fight against Climate Change, where she was responsible for major files. She was the lawyer responsible for the July 2013 Lac-Mégantic rail accident file, the 2010 restructuring of Abitibi-Bowater and the request for arbitration made by Dow AgroSciences LLC pursuant to the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) concerning the Pesticides Management Code. Ms. Devost has developed particular experience in orders under the Environment Quality Act and the Dam Safety Act. She also acted for the department in several contaminated site files and was responsible for the department's environmental liability team from 2009 to 2014.
- Quebec 2006
Ms. Devost has acted in the following matters:
- Legal advice and representation following notices of non-compliance, administrative monetary penalties and statements of offence with respect to environmental and agricultural, municipal and regulatory authorizations
- Environmental due diligence and transfer of environmental permits in merger and acquisitions and corporate restructuring files
- Environmental due diligence for various insurance companies offering representations and warranties liability insurance in connection with major transactions
- Legal advice and representations to the Ministry of the Environment and the Fight Against Climate Change and to municipalities on behalf of companies with characterization and rehabilitation obligations as well as obligations regarding hazardous waste
- Negotiation of contracts for the lease of water power and the grant of rights of the domain of the state for dams and hydroelectric generating stations
- In connection with a public transit project, legal advice on contaminated soils, wetlands, state water rights and environmental authorizations
- Representation before the Régie des marchés agricoles et alimentaires du Québec with respect to the review of a marketing agreement
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Environmental Law, 2021-2024
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2021-2023: recommended in Environmental Law
- Profiled as a leading lawyer in the Lexpert Special Edition: Energy, 2021 and 2023
- Canadian Bar Association
Publication | 18 mai 2022
Publication | October 6, 2021
Publication | January 15, 2021
August 29, 2023
Concordia University’s project to drive protection of biodiversity hotspots in watercourses in agricultural areas
April 25, 2023
September 01, 2021
December 16, 2020