Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
René-Martin Langlois' practice focuses on infrastructure, construction and public procurement law for public and private clients.
René-Martin's experience covers all aspects of infrastructure projects, including planning, project delivery methods, selection process for professionals, builders and specialized suppliers, the contractual agreements and the related negotiations.
In construction litigation, René-Martin has represented, both the plaintiff and the defendant, owners, general contractors, subcontractors and consulting engineering firms, which enables him to identify early in the process the key issues likely to arise in connection with infrastructure projects; he is therefore able to provide practical advice on the mitigation measures to implement and on the allocation of risks between the stakeholders based on market trends. This experience also allows him to offer advice during the work execution phase using a dispute prevention approach.
René-Martin has also developed skills in the context of public procurement matters and advises owners and bidders at all stages of the procurement process, particularly in drafting tender documents. He also advises local and foreign companies on the requirements for construction work in Quebec, including obtaining building contractor licences from the Régie du bâtiment du Québec and authorizations to contract, delivered by the Autorité des marchés publics.
- Quebec 2012
His representative new matters include:
- Advised Metro inc. in the construction project carried out in connection with the new automated distribution centre in Terrebonne, QC
- Advised Medicago inc. in the construction project carried out in connection with its manufacturing complex in the Espace d'Innovation D'Estimauville
- Advised the Administration portuaire de Sept-Îles in the modernization project carried out in connection with the Pointe-aux-Basques Terminal, using a design-build approach
- Advised VIA Rail Canada in connection to the drafting of contractual documents for construction work
- Advised the RTC in the renovation project carried out in connection with the Centre Lebourgneuf
- Advised Desjardins on the drafting of standard construction contracts to carry out conventional construction work
- Advised several private owners (pharmaceutical, industrial, manufacturing industries, etc.) in medium-scale construction projects carried out ($1 million to $10 million), in particular using CCDC standardized documents
- Advised a public organization from the health and social services network, in connection with five public calls for tender for the awarding of procurement and services contracts, related to the acquisition of new IT and telephone infrastructures
- Public contracts: the complaint procedure is now accessible to businesses interested in public and municipal contracts awarded by public tender
- Pilot project to facilitate payment to enterprises party to public construction contracts and allow access to an interim dispute settlement mechanism, August 2018
- Adoption of Bill 108: The Autorité des marchés publics will oversee the process of awarding public contracts through tendering and mutual agreement, April 2018
- Non-compliance in public calls for tenders: a step towards faster dispute resolution?, January 2018
- Public contracts: the Autorité des marchés publics will ensure the honest and fair treatment of tenderers for public contracts in Quebec, November 2016
- Private contracts: new requirement to hold a Revenu Québec certificate for construction subcontractors and contractors, February 2016
- Quebec public contracts/voluntary reimbursement program: the end of the story?, November 2015
- Quebec: three implementing regulations of the Act Respecting Contracting by Public Bodies amended, November 2015
- Quebec: government tables a draft regulation on IT contracts with public bodies, November 2015
- Public contracts: AMF authorization required for service contracts and subcontracts of $1 million and over starting November 2, 2015, June 2015
- Jeune Barreau de Québec
Public contracts: the complaint procedure is now accessible to businesses interested in public and municipal contracts awarded by public tender
Publication | June 2019
Pilot project to facilitate payment to enterprises party to public construction contracts and allow access to an interim dispute settlement mechanism
Publication | August 2018
Adoption of Bill 108: The Autorité des marchés publics will oversee the process of awarding public contracts through tendering and mutual agreement
Publication | April 2018