Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Keith Bustard's practice focuses on infrastructure and construction projects as well as general commercial transactions.
Mr. Bustard has assisted clients on a range of infrastructure projects, advising owners, contractors and professional consultants on all aspects their projects. As part of his practice, he regularly provides strategic, practical legal advice to private and government clients in connection with different forms of construction delivery, public-private partnerships, shipbuilding and natural resource infrastructure development. He is an experienced drafter of complex procurement documents and advises owners and proponents on all aspects of tender and RFP processes. Mr. Bustard’s commercial work includes negotiating and drafting various types of commercial contracts.
Prior to joining us, Mr. Bustard practised for four years in the Vancouver office of a prominent national law firm. He worked as the manager of finance and administration of a local charity before attending law school.
LL.B., University of British Columbia, 2007
B.Comm., University of Victoria, 2002
- British Columbia 2008
Mr. Bustard has been involved in the following matters:
- Capital Regional District - counsel on several wastewater infrastructure projects that form part of the Core Area Wastewater Treatment Program, including design-build and design-bid-build projects
- Ministry of Technology, Innovation and Citizen's Services - counsel on the Valleyview Project, a design-build project to develop a new building to accommodate two mental health programs in Burnaby, British Columbia
- Rio Tinto Alcan - in connection with several major infrastructure projects in British Columbia
- Prince Rupert Port Authority - in connection with various terminal projects
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University - counsel on the design-build of a renovation and expansion of an educational facility in Surrey, British Columbia
- Municipalities - counsel to local governments in connection with various forms of long-term service agreements, including recycling collection contracts, organic waste management agreements and landfill operation agreements
- Pipeline contractor - counsel to a contractor responsible for constructing portions of major pipeline projects in British Columbia
- Private owners and local governments - in connection with structuring procurements process and preparing construction contracts
- Engineering and construction companies - in connection with preparing and negotiating contracts and participating in procurements for various infrastructure projects throughout Western Canada
- SaskBuilds - Saskatchewan Hospital North Battleford-Integrated Corrections Facility
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2020: A leading lawyer to watch in Infrastructure Law
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Corporate Law, 2018-2021
- "Managing Risk by Contract - Procurement and Construction Law," British Columbia Risk Insurance Management Association, November 2019.
- "An Introduction to Procurement Law," client seminar, July 2018.
- "Choosing Your Delivery Method - Design-Bid-Build and Design-Build," Pacific Business & Law Institute, Project Delivery and Procurement, April 2018.
- “Tender and RFP Law - Seaspan Law School,” client seminar, March 2017.
- “Professional Service Contracts,” Pacific Business & Law Institute Construction Contracts: Beyond Standard Terms, November 2015.
- “Procurement Law 101,” Whitehorse, Yukon, September 2015.
- “Procurement Law: An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure,” Bull Housser Client Spotlight, January 2015.
- “Tender and RFP Law - Recent Trends and Developments,” Bull Housser Local Government Seminar, October 2013.
- “Construction and Procurement Law,” Bull Housser Infrastructure Seminar, June 2013.
- “Law and the Architect - Contract Law,” Architectural Institute of British Columbia, March 2013.
- “Law and the Architect - Contract Law,” Architectural Institute of British Columbia, October 2012.
- Canadian Bar Association, Construction Law Section (Executive 2015 - 2016)
- BC Branch
- BC Construction Roundtable
- Law Society of British Columbia
- Vancouver Bar Association
- Board of directors, Hooplaw Society (2011 - 2015)