Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Neil Davie's practice involves all aspects of commercial real estate, including the acquisition, financing, leasing, development and sale of residential, industrial, office and retail properties for local, national and offshore clients.
Mr. Davie has extensive experience advising clients at all stages of the development process – from rezoning through to building occupancy. He has worked on a number of complex phased and mixed-use developments for some of the Lower Mainland’s leading residential and commercial real estate developers.
He has practised as a lawyer with us since 2006. He was previously an associate in the real property and planning group of the Vancouver office of a large national firm.
Mr. Davie is the former chair of the Vancouver Real Property Section of the BC Branch of the Canadian Bar Association and is a contributing author to the BC Real Estate Practice Manual. He is a member of the Legal Update Commercial advisory group for the British Columbia Real Estate Association.
LL.B., University of British Columbia, 2001
B.Sc., University of British Columbia, 1997
- British Columbia 2002
Matters in which Mr. Davie has acted include:
- Negotiating, drafting and reviewing purchase agreements (involving land, share and asset transactions) and acting for vendors and purchasers of office buildings, shopping centres and industrial properties in the Greater Vancouver area, including acting for the vendor of Renfrew Business Centre (Phases 1, 3, and 4) in Vancouver
- Acting for commercial landlords and tenants in the negotiation, drafting and review of leases for various office, industrial, retail, warehouse and strata premises, including negotiating anchor tenant leases. He currently acts as leasing counsel for two national retail tenants
- Acting for large developers of multi-family residential developments in the Lower Mainland, the Okanagan and on Vancouver Island, including phased and mixed-use developments. Recent developments include “River Green” by Aspac in Richmond, BC, “Exchange” by The PCI Group in Vancouver and “Hidden Lake Lane” by Wilden in Kelowna, BC
- Advising clients on appropriate structures for real estate transactions, including joint ventures, limited partnerships and co-ownerships
- Negotiating, drafting and reviewing acquisition and construction financing documents
- Providing advice on large infrastructure projects, including advising the project management team on real estate matters relating to the Waterfront, Vancouver City Centre and Yaletown Canada Line Stations
- Acting for owners of retail liquor stores, pubs and restaurants
- Providing strategic advice to clients involved in shareholder disputes involving real estate assets, including retail liquor stores and a mortgage company
- Providing real estate advice in commercial restructuring and receivership matters, including the Olympic Village receivership and Bear Mountain Resort
- Advising Prince Rupert Port Authority on a number of projects, including the proposed Canpotex potash terminal project
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2020: recommended in Property Development; Property Leasing
- Acritas Stars 2020 -- Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Acritas Stars 2019 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Chambers Canada, British Columbia: Real Estate, Chambers and Partners, 2016-2021
- The Legal 500 Canada: Real Estate (Next Generation Partner), 2019-2021
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Commercial Leasing Law "Lawyer of the Year", 2016
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Commercial Leasing Law, Real Estate Law, 2012-2021
- Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business: Recognized as a leading lawyer in the area of Real Estate (2015)
- Lexpert: Named a Lexpert Corporate Lawyer to Watch and included in the 2014 and 2015 Guides to the Leading US / Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada
- Lexpert Rising Stars - Leading Lawyers Under 40 (2014)
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of British Columbia
- Vancouver Bar Association