Dan Bennett, QCvCard
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Dan Bennett's practice is focused in the areas of trial, arbitration, hearing and appeal work in commercial and administrative litigation. As a member of our litigation group, Mr. Bennett has conducted a broad range of cases in commercial, real estate, and natural resource matters in British Columbia, Alberta and Yukon superior courts and courts of appeal as well as the Federal Courts, including the Supreme Court of Canada. He also appears regularly before a number of administrative boards dealing primarily with real estate- and forestry-related issues.
He has made a significant commitment to the professional development of lawyers throughout the province. In addition to having been a long-standing adjunct professor at the University of British Columbia, he has given many lectures at CLE and other continuing education programs. Mr. Bennett has the FCIArb designation as a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
Dan is the national practice leader of our litigation group in Canada.
LL.B., University of British Columbia, 1986
Law Clerk, British Columbia Court of Appeal, 1986-1987
B.Comm. (Hons.), University of British Columbia, 1985
- British Columbia 1988
- Yukon 2009
Mr. Bennett has acted in the following matters:
- Mowatt v. City of Nelson, 2017 SCC 8
- Mulacek v. InterOil Corporation, 2017 YKSC 10
- Redekop v. Okanagan Mainline Real Estate Board, 2017 BCSC 417
- Fortisalberta Inc. v. EQUS REA Ltd., 2016 ABQB 307
- J.I. Properties Inc. v. PPG Architectural Coatings Canada Ltd., 2015 BCCA 472
- Lobo Del Norte Ltd. v. City of Whitehorse, 2015 YKSC 40
- Saik’uz First Nation and Stellat’en First Nation v. Rio Tinto Alcan Inc., 2015 BCCA 154
- J.I. Properties Inc. v. PPG Architectural Coatings Canada Inc., 2014 BCSC 1619
- Whitehorse Condominium Corp. No.95 v. 37724 Yukon Inc. 2014 YKSC 2
- Thomas v. Rio Tinto Alcan Inc. 2013 BCSC 2303
- Acritas Stars 2019 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Chambers Canada, British Columbia: Litigation - General Commercial, Chambers and Partners, 2019
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2016-2019: recommended in Litigation - Corporate Commercial; 2019: recommended in Forestry Law
- Legal 500 Canada: Dispute Resolution - British Columbia (Leading Lawyer), 2019
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Recognized as a leading lawyer in the areas of Aboriginal Law, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Corporate + Commerical Litigation, Natural Resources Law (2017, 2016), Environmental Law and Municipal Law (2017)
- Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business: Recognized as a leading lawyer in the area of Dispute Resolution (2015)
- CLEBC’s Most Prolific Volunteers (1996 to 2016): Recognized as prolific contributor
- LexisNexis - Martindale-Hubbell: BV Peer Review Rated