Senior Associate, Patent Agent, Trademark Agent
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Tamara O'Connell's practice focuses on the procurement and protection of intellectual property rights, including patents, industrial designs, trademarks, and copyright. Tamara regularly prepares and prosecutes patent applications in a variety of subject matter. Her patent work encompasses software, electrical, and mechanical technologies, including artificial intelligence, machine learning, machine vision, data communications, electronic devices, and medical devices in fields such as financial services, telecommunications, aerospace, and consumer products.
Tamara works with clients of all sizes and is actively engaged with Toronto's local technology community. In advising clients, she offers strategic advice for developing and exploiting their intellectual property portfolios to meet their business objectives.
She received the J. Edward Maybee Memorial Prize for achieving the highest overall mark in the 2015 Canadian patent agent examination. In law school, Tamara served on the senior board of the University of Toronto Faculty of Law Review. While pursuing her engineering degree, Tamara gained valuable industry experience working in the instrumentation and control engineering department of a multinational engineering company.
- Ontario 2013
- Canada (patents) 2015
- Canada (trademarks) 2014
- United States (patents) 2016
- J. Edward Maybee Memorial Prize, highest overall mark in the 2015 Canadian Patent Agent Examination, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- "Canada: Pharmaceutical patents in Canada – regulatory changes," Managing Intellectual Property, December 8, 2017.
- "Canada: Non-infringing alternative defence clarified" (co-author), Managing Intellectual Property, September 28, 2017.
- "Canada: Consultation on proposed Patent Rules amendments," Managing Intellectual Property, August 24, 2017.
- "Canada: Broadened protection for GIs under CETA," Managing Intellectual Property, June 23, 2017.
- Intellectual Property Best Practices, webinar, Ryerson University Startup School, Toronto, November 10, 2020.
- Patent Agent Exam Prep - Paper B, webinar, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC), Toronto, October 7, 2020.
- Intellectual property expert, Discovery 2017 – Ontario Centres of Excellence, Ask-an-Expert Zone, Toronto, May 15, 2017.
- IP Career Panel, Intellectual Property Society of Osgoode, Osgoode Hall Law School, Toronto, November 21, 2016.
- Toronto Intellectual Property Group (Executive Committee)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc.
- Women in Communications and Technology