Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Stephen Coyle's practice is specific to litigation and alternative dispute resolution for design consultants, owners, contractors, insurers and many of the other stakeholders involved in construction projects. In particular, Stephen is often appointed by insurers to defend design consultants captured by construction disputes, or other insureds under project-specific insurance policies.
Stephen understands the construction industry and appreciates the significant risks and costs all stakeholders carry to see a project through to a successful completion. To that end, Stephen advises his clients to either avoid or resolve construction disputes in a timely and cost-effective manner. Whether appointed by a design professional, owner, contractor or insurer, Stephen strives to meet his clients' varying expectations, whether in the form of litigation budgets, reports, navigating contractual, legal or procedural issues, or gaining traction towards certainty of outcome by leaning heavily on alternative dispute resolution procedures.
- British Columbia 1993
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Construction Law, Corporate and Commercial Litigation, Insurance Law, 2018-2021
- Benchmark Litigation British Columbia Provincial Litigation Star (Commercial and Insurance)
- Annual Review of Law & Practice, construction law chapter, Continuing Legal Education Society of British Columbia, 2014-2018.
- "Construction Risk Management" (panel member), 2019 MIABC Annual Conference, Vancouver, BC, April 17, 2019.
- "Lien Filing Periods: Traps for The Unwary," Builders' Liens - 2015 Update, CLEBC Seminar, Vancouver, November 24, 2015.
- "Construction Law Update 2015," CLE-TV Annual Review Series 2015, May 6, 2015.
- "Insurance for the Construction Industry and Surety Law," Construction Contracts & Risk Management, Affinity Institute, Vancouver, BC, January 22, 2015.
- "An Overview of Risk-From Project Inception Through Project Completion," Insurance Section, Managing Risk in Construction Contracts. The Canadian Institute Conference, Edmonton, AB, November 25, 2104.
- "Expert Retainers," Canadian Bar Association -Construction Law Subsection, June 2014.
- "CLEBC Construction Law 2013: Lessons Learned from a Mediator" (presenter and contributor), Continuing Legal Education Society of BC, May 15, 2013.
- "Sampling of Construction Law Cases Considered in 2012," Canadian Bar Association-Construction Law Subsection, April 17, 2013.
- "Hot Issues in Professional Services Agreements," Pacific Business & Law Institute Construction Contract Development to Prevent Costly Mistakes Conference, Vancouver, BC, December 11, 2013.
- Canadian Law Institutes' Construction Super-Conference for Western Canada (presenter and contributor), Calgary, AB, (2003, 2004 and 2005).
- Canadian Bar Association
- BC branch, construction law subsection