Partner, Head of Technology, Co-Head of Information Governance, Privacy and Cybersecurity
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
- Information governance, privacy and cybersecurity
- Corporate, M&A and securities
- Regulation and investigations
- Risk advisory
- Sourcing and technology
Key industry sectors
Imran Ahmad is a senior partner and the Canadian head of our technology sector and Canadian co-head of our information governance, privacy and cybersecurity practice. He is based in our Toronto and Montreal offices and is recognized as a leading cybersecurity and privacy lawyer by several legal directories.
Imran advises clients across all industries on a wide array of technology-related matters, including outsourcing, cloud computing, SaaS, strategic alliances, technology development, system procurement and implementation, technology licensing and transfer, distribution, open source software, and electronic commerce.
As part of his cybersecurity practice, Imran works with clients to develop and implement strategies related to cyber threats. He advises on legal risk assessments, compliance, due diligence, security, and data breach incident preparedness and response.
Imran often acts as "breach counsel" in the event of a cybersecurity incident, and has extensive experience in managing complex cross-border security incidents. He also provides representation in the event of an investigation, enforcement action or litigation.
Imran is the author of Canada's first legal incident preparation and response handbook titled Cybersecurity in Canada: A Guide to Best Practices, Planning, and Management, 2nd Edition (LexisNexis, March 2021).
In his privacy law practice, he advises clients on compliance with all Canadian federal and provincial privacy and data management laws. He has a particular focus on cross-border data transfer issues and enterprise-wide governance programs related to privacy and information governance. Imran is the former chair of the Privacy and Access to Information Section of the Ontario Bar Association.
Imran is an adjunct professor at the University of Toronto's Faculty of Law, where he teaches cybersecurity and privacy law.
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
- Alberta 2008
- Ontario 2008
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Information Technology Law, 2020; Corporate Law, 2021; Privacy and Data Security Law, 2019-2023
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Privacy & Data protection, Chambers and Partners, 2020-2023
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2021: recommended in Technology Transactions; 2022-2023: recommended in Data Protection & Privacy
- Thomson Reuters Stand-out Lawyers, 2022-2023
- Acritas Stars 2021 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- The Legal 500 Canada, 2020: Technology
- "Cybersecurity in Canada: A Guide to Best Practices, Planning, and Management," LexisNexis, August 2017.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Cyber Space)
- Toronto Board of Trade
- Advisory committee at Northeastern University for Master of Professional Studies in Informatics
La Presse: Imran Ahmad discusses integrating AI in manufacturing and how some companies are hesitant
May 18, 2023
Canadian Press: Imran Ahmad discusses money-saving apps and how they work
March 14, 2023
Les Affaires: Imran Ahmad comments on the potential risk of using ChatGPT
February 22, 2023
Financial Institutions Day
Event | June 15, 2023
Practical steps for businesses to comply with Bill C-27: part 2
Blog | March 15, 2023
Publication | March 03, 2023
Carlsberg Group to acquire Waterloo Brewing Ltd. in C$144m transaction
January 05, 2023
Newport Private Wealth Inc. is acquired by NFP
August 02, 2022
Genius Brands completes acquisition of Wow Unlimited Media
April 27, 2022
Macro Enterprises Inc. completes going-private transaction
April 27, 2022