Douglas B. Buchanan, QC
Co-Head, North American Infrastructure
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Douglas B. Buchanan, QCvCard
Related services and key industries
Douglas Buchanan, QC is the co-head of Norton Rose Fulbright's North American infrastructure group. His practice focuses on project development, project finance and M&A with an emphasis on infrastructure, public-private partnerships (PPP), natural resources and power generation.
Prior to joining Norton Rose Fulbright Mr. Buchanan was the co-head of the global infrastructure and project finance group at an international law firm based in New York City, and prior to that, he had built a leading infrastructure and P3 group at a national Canadian law firm. Mr. Buchanan has acted as lead counsel or a primary legal team member on over 60 P3 transactions in the US and Canada, a number of which have been recognized as international award-winning transactions.
Mr. Buchanan is admitted to practice law in both British Columbia and Ontario and is licensed to practice as a legal consultant in the state of New York.
LL.B., University of British Columbia, 1984
B. Comm., University of British Columbia, 1976
- British Columbia
- Ontario 2000
- New York state legal consultant 2013
- New York Foreign Legal Consultant
The following is a sampling of some of the P3 and other major transactions on which Mr. Buchanan acted as lead counsel or a primary legal team member:
- Bayonne Water Project - acted for Ullico and NorthleafCapital in its pursuit of the Bayonne Water Project
- Purple Line Light Rail - acted for the InfraRed Capital, Walsh Group, Alstom, Vinci, Keolis sponsor team on the $2.6 billion Maryland Purple Line Light Rail Project in Maryland
- Rialto Water – acted for Ullico, the majority equity investor, in a 30-year concession with the city of Rialto, California, to outsource and upgrade the city's water and wastewater services.
- Alberta Schools #1 - acted for Babcock & Brown, the successful proponent, on all aspects of the $500 million Alberta Schools Project in Calgary and Edmonton. This project was awarded the "North American Social Infrastructure Deal of the Year" by Project Finance Magazine (Euromoney) (NY)
- Canada Line P3 Project – acted for SNC-Lavalin Inc., the successful proponent. This project was awarded "North American Transport Deal of the Year" by Project Finance Magazine and "Infrastructure Deal of the Year – Americas" by Project Finance International.
- Highway 407 #1 – acted as lead counsel to the Bank of Montreal-lead international banking syndicate providing the construction financing for highway 407 in Toronto, Ontario. This project was awarded "North American Transport Deal of the Year" by Project Finance Magazine (NY)
- Partnerships British Columbia – acted for Partnerships British Columbia in connection with the development and drafting of the British Columbia Model Concession Agreement and advising on all policy and risk issues arising in connection with the British Columbia government's infrastructure program
- Student Transportation – acted for Ullico Inc. in the cross-border take private acquisition of Student Transportation Inc. (TSX:STB) (NASDAQ:STB) by a purchaser group sponsored by Ullico and Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec (CDPQ).
- Plutonic Run of River Project – acted for Fiera Axium Infrastructure and a consortium of Canadian pension funds in their acquisition of GE Canada's interest in the Plutonic run-of-river project in British Columbia.
- Weyerhaeuser Timberlands – acted for Brookfield Asset Management in its C$1.4 billion acquisition of Weyerhaeuser's coastal forest assets and later acted as co-counsel to a related special purpose finance vehicle on a C$400 million cross-border bond issue.
- Appointed Queen's Counsel in British Columbia in 2007
- Prior to moving to New York in 2013, was one of only five Canadian lawyers ranked "Band 1" for "Projects" by Chambers Global: Worlds' Leading Lawyers
- Chambers Global, USA, Projects: PPP, Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Chambers Global, Canada, Projects: PPP & Infrastructure, Chambers and Partners, 2018-2019
- Chambers Global, USA, Projects, Chambers and Partners, 2018-2019
- "Convenient Realities" (co-authors: Ivan E. Mattei, Michael P. McGuigan), Project Finance Magazine, December 2013.
- New York State Bar Association
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- Law Society of British Columbia