With more than 300 lawyers worldwide, our global employment and labour team has wide-ranging experience in all areas of contentious and non-contentious employment and labour law, including employee benefits, large global share plans and tax-efficient strategies and pensions.
We have an excellent record of handling high-profile disputes, regularly engaging in employment and labour civil court cases and tribunal advocacy, as well as advising on sensitive severance issues and boardroom disputes, class and collective actions, corporate governance and whistleblower claims and more standard disciplinary and grievance issues.
Likewise, our lawyers have substantial transactional experience, and are highly skilled at helping our clients effectively manage the employment and labour law aspects of multi-jurisdictional corporate reorganizations, mergers and acquisitions. We have a diverse international client base across the key industry sectors of financial institutions; energy; infrastructure, mining and commodities; transport; technology and innovation; and life sciences and healthcare and also advise charities.
Our national employment and labour team, with more than 80 lawyers across Canada, represents employers in both the private and public sectors nationwide. The team is based in six key Canadian markets: Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, and Quebec City. The team regularly advises on provincial matters as well as leading cases at the federal level. In jurisdictions where the judicial language is both English and French, we provide practical advice and legal representation before the courts, and quasi-judicial and administrative tribunals, in both of Canada’s official languages.
Our areas of work include
- Boardroom disputes and severance claims
- Collective bargaining issues, including trade union recognition and negotiations
- Discrimination and harassment claims
- Employee benefits and executive compensation, including incentive plans and taxation
- Employment and labour law aspects of all corporate finance transactions
- Employment and labour litigation
- Employment policies and procedures, including Codes of Conduct and IT
- Immigration law, including visas, work permits and international mobility
- International employment issues, including dual contracts
- Investigations of workplace issues and allegations
- Judicial review advocacy
- Pay and employment equity
- Pensions and superannuation
- Privacy law and access to information
- Redundancies and dismissals
- Service agreements, contracts of employment and HR handbooks
- Transfer of undertakings
- Whistleblower laws, retaliation claims and related investigations
- Workplace health and safety incident response and education
- Workplace and industrial relations disputes and strategies
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Employment and Labour (Band 1), Chambers and Partners, 2023
- Chambers Canada, British Columbia: Employment and Labour, Chambers and Partners, 2023
- Chambers Canada, Ontario: Employment and Labour (Band 1), Chambers and Partners, 2023
- Chambers Canada, Quebec: Employment and Labour, Chambers and Partners, 2023
- Legal 500 Canada, Labour and Employment, The Legal 500, 2023