Our global team of technology lawyers has extensive experience advising on all aspects of technology agreements, acquisitions and licensing, including developing, integrating and implementing new technologies, as well as advising on disputes arising from these innovative transactions.
We help starts-ups and multinationals in areas including cloud-based technology, hardware and infrastructure, systems integration, data analytics, software, semiconductors, artificial intelligence, big data, internet of things and financial services technology, such as Blockchain.
Our experience covers technology mergers and acquisitions and joint ventures, commercialization, including software distribution agreements and R&D collaborations, complex multi-jurisdictional technology litigation and arbitration and all aspects of the acquisition, exploitation, and enforcement of intellectual property rights relating to the use of technology. The team also advises on complex data licensing and ownership arrangements, including the intellectual property, data protection, contractual and regulatory aspects of data transactions.
We advise both technology companies and businesses implementing technology solutions, as well as investors in the technology sector, giving us a 360-degree view of the legal and commercial issues arising from major technology projects.
Our areas of work include
- Antitrust and competition
- Application of software, including ASP, cloud and SaaS delivery models and open source
- Data protection, privacy and cybersecurity
- Digital technologies, Internet services and eCommerce
- Intellectual property, including acquisition, protection and enforcement, licensing and technology transfer
- Investments, including private equity, venture capital and equity capital market fundraising
- Mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures
- Procurement, including integration and implementation
- Regulation and investigations
- Software development, licensing and distribution
- Technology development and commercialization
- Technology litigation and arbitration
Awards and accolades
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Information Technology, Chambers and Partners, 2019
- Chambers Global, Canada: Information Technology, Chambers and Partners, 2019
- Legal 500 Canada, Technology, The Legal 500, 2019