Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Sherina Petit is a partner in our London office. She heads the International Arbitration Practice across Europe, the Middle East and Asia and also heads the firm's India practice.
Sherina has significant experience of: investor state dispute resolution; alternative dispute resolutions (ADR); litigation; and regulatory investigations. In addition to acting as counsel in arbitrations, she regularly sits as an arbitrator.
Sherina is also experienced in key aspects of international arbitration across a broad range of industries, including: energy; construction; oil and gas; trade; transport; pharmaceuticals; commodities; finance; and technology. She represents clients across the globe in a wide variety of commercial and investment arbitration proceedings, including those before: the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA); the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC); the United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL); the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC); and ad hoc proceedings.
Sherina is the chairperson of the European Federation of Investment Law and Arbitration (EFILA) and is on the LCIA Board of Directors. She is also a member of: the ICC Indian Arbitration Group; the SIAC Users Council; the SIAC Users Council's Regional/National Committee for the United Kingdom; and the Kuala Lumpur Court of Arbitration. Sherina is also on the steering committee for the Pledge for Equal Representation for Women in Arbitration.
Sherina is a published writer and speaker on international arbitration. She has co-authored a chapter in Arbitration in England, edited by Julian Lew QC, and a chapter in Enforcing Arbitral Awards in India, edited by Nakul Dewan.
A qualified solicitor in England and Wales, Sherina has also completed her Bachelor of Law degree in India and her Master of Law degree at King's College, London.
Sherina has received multiple awards, including:
- Legal 500's inaugural International Arbitration Powerlist, UK
- Leading Individual in the Who's Who Legal: Arbitration 2019, described as "a stand out name in the international arbitration space"
- India Business Law Journal's A-list for 2019, the top 100 international lawyers for India related work.
- Benchmark Litigation Europe 2019's list of Dispute Resolution Stars
- Expert Guides' 2018 edition of the Commercial Arbitration Guide
- The client choice award for the UK in the Arbitration & ADR category in 2017 and 2018 (as voted for by corporate counsel).
- Featured in the Who's Who Future Leaders in Arbitration for both 2017 and 2018, described as "a prominent name in the arbitration market … widely endorsed for her extensive experience in energy and infrastructure disputes"
- Acritas Stars' database for 2017, 2018 and 2019
- Corporate International Magazine's global award for the 'India Arbitration Lawyer of the Year' in England in 2017
- A 'Rising Star for International Arbitration' in LMG's Rising Stars 2015 and 2016, described as "a key figure in developing the firm's India practice" and "a complete dynamo"
- Legal Week's 2016 feature, "rising stars: the new generation of litigators making their mark"
- Corporate Vision's "Partner of the Year, UK"
Sherina is ranked and described in several directories as:
- "Pugnacious strategist and a great mind to have on clients' teams" and "very receptive to her clients' needs". Legal 500 UK
- "Commercially focused advice and able to quickly mobilise her team." She is well regarded for her international commercial arbitration practice, which centres on energy and infrastructure disputes, with a strong focus on matters involving India. Chambers & Partners Global, 2018/2019
- "Great – a very nice person to deal with and extremely charming in how she goes about things". She is particularly recommended for her work on cases with Indian elements. Chambers & Partners UK, 2018/2019
- Commended as a prominent arbitration counsel: "She's a great disputes lawyer. Very knowledgeable in terms of her practice area, she is very effective at what she does." Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific, 2018/2019
- "India and UK-qualified, Sherina Petit is 'committed to India and has a good reputation,' report sources… Clients admire that 'she goes the extra mile to make the relationship work, and the level of work she does is extremely accessible and helpful.'" Chambers & Partners Asia Pacific, 2016/2017
- "Technically excellent as well as being a delight to work with". Chambers & Partners UK, 2016/2017
Sherina has a wide international background having practiced across multiple jurisdictions. She qualified as an advocate in India whilst working at a leading law firm in Mumbai (non-practising). She obtained her England and Wales qualification whilst training at Linklaters in London and subsequently spent six years as an associate in the international arbitration team at Shearman & Sterling in London before joining our firm.
April 17, 2019
February 20, 2019
December 18, 2018
Publication | May 08, 2019
Publication | October 2018
Publication | May 2018
Publication | April 2018