Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Philippe Hameau is a dispute resolution and litigation lawyer based in Paris. He is also a restructuring and insolvency lawyer and with a particular focus on financial institutions.
Philippe represents clients in courts and before arbitration tribunals and has extensive experience of commercial and banking litigation. His Supreme Court background gives him a deep knowledge of the procedural rules of the French courts. He also has extensive experience of Ohada law and arbitration proceedings in Africa.
He advises domestic and international clients on the full range of restructuring mandates, insolvency proceedings and distressed M&A, often with cross-border elements.
Clients praise his "ability to remain calm and serene under pressure" and appreciate his "down-to-earth approach, as well as his explanations and knowledge of the market." Chambers Europe 2019 France. Legal 500 EMEA 2018 notes he is "incredibly talented".
He taught civil and commercial law at University of Paris II and the University of Paris V and regularly gives lectures to various Universities in France. Philippe holds a DEA in private law from the University of Paris II – Pantheon-Assas (1983) and graduated from the Institut de Droit des Affaires (1983). He is a member of the Paris Bar (1991) and won the first prize for oral pleading at a contest organized by the Supreme Court's Bar Association (1991).
- Avocat au Barreau de Paris
- Represented an English construction company in the enforcement of a pledge over the industrial assets of a French insolvent company
- Advised a large international mining company on a breach of agreement for the purchase of Bauxite, Guinea
- Represented several creditors on the recovery of their claims during the liquidation of an international loaning company
- Represented a Moroccan real estate group in a dispute against Bahraini investors arising out of the termination of a development project in Morocco (ICC, Casablanca, US$70m)
- Represented a mining group in a shareholders' dispute (ICC, Geneva, DRC law, US$250m) against a state-owned company of DRC and their respective rights under a joint venture agreement
- Represented a Canadian group in the paper industry during a post M&A dispute involving expert determination regarding the value of the shares (ICC arbitration and French courts)
- Represented a mining company in an ICC Arbitration against a state-owned company in a dispute about their mining joint-venture. Gécamines claimed approximately US$250m for a backlog of royalties, an upward adjustment of a key money payment, a lost margin on various contracts and a reimbursement of interests. ERG claimed US$19.5m for unduly paid royalties.
- Acritas Star 2019
- Entreprises en difficulté, anticipez !, La Tribune, July 21, 2014
- La réforme des entreprises en faillite en vigueur aujourd’hui, Le Monde du Droit, July 1, 2014
- Le privilège de conciliation, Journal des Sociétés, 2012
- Sauvegarde: du nouveau avec la Sauvegarde Financière Accélérée, Option Droit et Affaires, 2011
- Cœur Défense: quelle leçon !, Magazine des Affaires, 2011
- Thomson: un tour de passe-passe en Technicolor, Magazine des Affaires 2010
- Les Faillites Internationales - Approche européenne, with Michaël Raimon, IBLJ, 2003
Publication | October 2016
Publication | July 2016