Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Dr Marco Niehaus is a corporate, M&A, and securities lawyer and a partner in our Frankfurt office.
The legal press and related rankings refer to Marco as an "experienced advisor for complex deals" (Legal 500 Germany 2019).
Marco has broad experience of advising domestic and cross-border M&A transactions, real estate deals and private equity investments (sell side and buy side). Besides transactional work, Marco provides strategic advice to decision makers in the areas of: corporate law; joint ventures; industry-specific distributions and contract law; corporate governance; compliance; restructurings; and distressed M&A.
He has broad experience of carve-outs, minority participations and management equity programs.
His client base includes strategic and institutional investors, as well as numerous listed companies and private equity funds. He advises insurers in the warranty and indemnity insurance market on underwriting matters for complex M&A deals. Marco regularly advises on strategic acquisitions and disposals, including DAX 30 companies, the establishment of domestic and international joint ventures and transactions with restructuring aspects.
Marco's advisory practice includes the following sectors: automotive; life sciences; healthcare; and new technologies.
Marco is a regular author in law publications and the business press. He is a lecturer for corporate/M&A and is a member of the board of trustees (Kuratorium) of the EBS Law School in Wiesbaden, Germany.
He was admitted to practice law as a German lawyer (Rechtsanwalt) in 2008. Prior to joining us, Marco worked with leading national and international law firms for several years.
- Doctor Juris (Dr. iur.), Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt am Main, 2010
- Master of Law (LL.M.), University of Cambridge (DAAD Scholar), 2009
- 2nd State Exam, Regional Court of Frankfurt am Main, 2008
- Magister Legum of European and International Business Law (LL.M. Eur.), Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt am Main, 2005
- 1st State Exam, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt am Main, 2004
- Diploma of Higher Education in Common Law, University of East Anglia, 2001.
- Attorney at law 2008
- Led private equity fund on a US$2.38bn takeover of a global producer and distributor of pharmaceutical capsules
- Acted for a private equity fund on a 45 percent share participation in a leading optics and camera manufacturer and a €700m takeover of a supplier of functional and outdoor equipment
- Led private equity fund on a large-volume investment in a global supplier of security systems
- Advised the world's largest oil production company on a €2.75bn investment in a joint venture for synthetic rubber products
- Represented a pharmaceutical company on the establishment of a joint venture for mobile environmental exposure chambers
- Advised a DAX 30 company on the US$1.4bn sale of its wireless solutions business unit to a leading US semi-conductor manufacturer
- Assisted a listed company with the takeover of a leading manufacturer of battery systems
- Advised world's largest seller of Mercedes-Benz vehicles on the development of its German business, e.g. on the takeover of the east German distribution network for Mercedes-Benz vehicles
- Acted for an automotive supplier on the strategic acquisition of a voice control company, a speakers company and a majority participation in a global supplier for vehicle air conditioning and engine cooling
- Led food distributor on the takeover of a distribution and logistics network
- Advised a global industrial company on the acquisition of a leading manufacturer of marine technology components
- Acted for an insurance company on the underwriting of large-volume warranty and indemnity insurances.
- Marco is an advisor who "keeps a close eye on related fields thanks to his extensive experience in complex deals", Legal 500 Germany, M&A, 2018.
- Der Ausgleich der Parteiinteressen bei Konkurrenzklauseln nach deutschem und englischem Recht, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, 2014
- Umwandlung notleidender Darlehensforderungen in Eigenkapital unter Einsatz von Zweckgesellschaften, M&A Review, p.538, 2009
- Auswirkungen der Subprime-Krise auf die Finanzierung öffentlicher Übernahmeangebote: Renaissance sekundärer Finanzierungsinstrumente?, M&A Review, p.457, 2008
- Trennung vom GmbH-Geschäftsführer nach einem Share Deal, M&A Review, p. 503, 2007.
- Lecture on joint ventures in the pharmaceutical industry, Deutsche Life Sciences and Healthcare Academy, June 1, 2017.
- German-British Lawyers' Association (DBJV)
- Corporate Law Association (VGR)
- Member of the Board of Trustees (Kuratorium) of EBS Law School, Wiesbaden, Germany.