We are one of the few global legal practices that can offer our clients in the power and utilities sector a true ‘cradle to grave’ service. Our services don’t stop when a power project has been built - we work with our clients every day, providing advice on the full spectrum of legal issues including tax, employment, environmental and safety, disposals, trading, emergency response, dispute resolution and arbitration.
“Particularly strong on renewable energy, including onshore and offshore wind projects, solar energy and biomass energy. Known for advising clients on oil and gas-related matters.” - Chambers Europe, 2018
Our experience in the power sector has been gained by advising on all aspects of the development of the electricity industry, its diversity reflecting the changes in the sector through privatization, new models of regulation and financing, and increasing internationalization. Likewise, we continue to be at the cutting edge of new developments in nuclear, gas, coal and oil-fired power in both existing and emerging markets.
We maintain a strong nuclear practice in which we offer legal advice in all aspects of the nuclear cycle including feasibility studies for the development of new nuclear stations, new build (construction and financing), operational issues, uranium mining, fuel fabrication, transportation and supply, waste management and disposal and decommissioning.
We never underestimate the challenges that ‘country first’ projects present which is why our power team is highly skilled, experienced and knowledgeable at dealing with such innovative transactions.
Our areas of work include
- Capital markets, including debt and equity
- Construction and engineering
- Dispute resolution and litigation
- Environmental law, including permitting, land use and waste disposal
- Feasibility studies, including planning
- Fuel supply and transportation
- Investor-owned utilities, municipal utilities, statutory electricity providers and commercial plants
- Operations & Maintenance (O&M)
- Power purchase agreements (PPA) and power trading
- Public and government finance, including export credit agency
- Renewables and sustainability, including efficient power conversion (EPC)
Awards and accolades
- Chambers Europe, France: Energy & Natural Resources, Chambers & Partners, 2018
- Chambers Global, Global-wide: Projects & Energy, Chambers & Partners, 2018
- Chambers Global, Global-wide: Projects & Energy: Power, Chambers & Partners, 2018
- Legal 500 EMEA, France: Energy, The Legal 500, 2018