Global Head of Tax
Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Dominic Stuttaford is a tax lawyer based in London, and head of tax for Europe, Middle East and Asia. He focuses on the tax aspects of corporate finance and other finance transactions and structures, with a particular interest in the insurance, resources and technology sectors. He trained at the firm and became a partner in 1999.
Dominic’s experience includes: mergers and acquisitions of public and private companies; group restructurings; acquisitions; and other finance structures. He also has a very active litigation practice, both in the UK and internationally.
Dominic has been recommended in Chambers and Partners, The Legal 500 and Who's Who Legal for his capabilities as a tax lawyer.
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- BMW – advised on a complex tax appeal, securing successful outcomes before the Upper Tier Tax Tribunal and Court of Appeal in a highly significant case concerning VAT grouping. The Court of Appeal upheld the Upper Tier Tax Tribunal ruling and decided in favour of BMW. It establishes that the right to claim a VAT refund lies with the representative member of a VAT group at the time the claim is made, regardless of any changes in group membership. This is a complex case involving a large number of parties and technical arguments on the interpretation of VAT legislation. It is possible that this may go to the Supreme Court.
- Barclays – assisted with the sale of its US$2.8bn Barclays Africa Group Ltd.
- Barrick Gold Corporation – acted for Barrick in relation to Acacia Mining.
- HSBC – acted on its ground-breaking SDRT litigation.
- Canadian Tire – acted on the C$985m acquisition of Helly Hansen.
- Bombardier Inc – acted on the CPDQ of US$1.5bn convertible shares in Bombardier Transportation.
- Patrizia AG - advising on its acquisition of Whitehelm Capital.
Chambers and Partners say:
Dominic Stuttaford is well respected for his corporate focused practice which sees him counsel clients on the tax aspects of mergers and acquisitions. He is notable for his ability to handle multi-jurisdictional mandates.
"He is very pragmatic." "He is very nice and easy to work with."
Dominic Stuttaford is ranked in Who's Who Legal Corporate Tax 2022.
Legal 500 say:
Dominic Stuttaford is 'absolutely brilliant', 'tactically astute' and an experienced tax litigator. The team represents clients in tax authority investigations and a broad range of tax disputes involving the major UK courts and tribunals, as well as the European Court of Justice.
Dominic is a member of the Law Society International Tax Committee and the Chartered Institute of Taxation (CTA).
He is on the editorial committee of the Practical Law for Companies (PLC).
Dominic Stuttaford named Global Head of Tax
June 29, 2022
Kneip advised on acquisition by Deutsche Börse
April 01, 2022
North P&I Club advised on its proposed merger with Standard Club
March 21, 2022
Failure to prevent fraud offence in the UK
Webinar | May 23, 2023
The new failure to prevent fraud offence: cheating the public revenue
Publication | May 18, 2023
NRF Client Briefing Sovereign immunity from direct taxation consultation on policy design
Publication | May 12, 2023