Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Nicholas Berry is a partner in our corporate team in London.
He advises on corporate and regulatory issues for clients in the financial services sector, with a particular focus on the insurance market.
Nicholas is ranked as a "Next Generation Partner" for corporate and regulatory insurance and as a "Leading Individual" in FinTech by The Legal 500, 2021.
He is noted as an "Up and Coming Individual" by Chambers 2021, which comments that Nicholas "…thinks very creatively…He is also very technical but has a terrific way of taking complex issues and reducing them to easily understandable concepts."
He has extensive experience of running large, multi-jurisdictional and UK-based M&A deals in the insurance sector for institutional and private equity clients.
Nicholas has insurance-specific, financial services regulatory knowledge and also advises institutional insurance clients, intermediaries and start-ups on regulatory and structuring matters.
His experience includes providing advice on complex structured insurance and reinsurance arrangements and ILS and parametric products. Nicholas took part in the consultation process for the new UK ILS regime.
He leads our London InsurTech practice and led the Norton Rose Fulbright team that was "Highly Commended" in the Legal Business Awards 2020 – Insurance Team of the Year category for its work on the launch of an insurance protection solution for digital assets and cryptocurrencies.
Nicholas devised and co-ordinates our Insurathon innovation events, where InsurTech start-ups pitch for a prize fund of up to £50,000. These events have now been held each year since 2017.
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- A global insurer on the sale of its South African business.
- A global insurer on the acquisition of a telematics and connected car business with international operations.
- A global insurer on the acquisition of a digital healthcare platform.
- On the sale of the commercial lines MGA UK General to JC Flowers.
- Aquiline Capital Partners on its investment in, and subsequent exit from, wholesale broker Beach & Associates; and on its acquisition of speciality motor insurer, ERS.
- AXA on its £2.75bn disposal of certain of its UK life businesses to Resolution Ltd.
- MGA Now Health International on its acquisition of Best Doctors, Inc private medical insurance business.
- A private equity firm on its vehicle targeting business process outsourcing companies and relevant insurance regulatory aspects, including bolt on acquisitions.
- Stable Price on its launch and parametric commodity coverage products.
- Global Parametrics on its arrangements with global reinsurance firm Hannover Re and the German Government in relation to a new natural catastrophe-focused investment fund.
- An ILS investor in relation to successive ILS transactions relating to wildfire risk.
- MyLotto24 on its innovative ILS "Hoplon I, II & III" coverage programs.
- MGA Now Health International on its global capacity arrangements.
- Arch, the Lloyd's underwriter, on the launch of BlueVault, an insurance protection solution for digital assets and cryptocurrencies, providing coverage of up to US$150m.
- A blockchain enabled peer-to-peer discretionary mutual Nexus Mutual on its launch.
- Riskbook on its launch and contracting arrangements.
- AIG and Standard Chartered on the insurance regulatory aspects for blockchain use in their trade finance platform PoC.
- A speciality insurer and reinsurer on its participation in an insurance market blockchain platform, involving multiple market participants focused on the marine sector.
- Lloyd's of London on the regulatory implications of cryptocurrencies and ICOs.
- A global bank on its investment into an Asia-based InsurTech.
- A global insurer on its strategic partnerships with and investments into InsurTechs.
- Crypto Insurance Challenge: How Can I Insure What I Don't Understand?, PLUS D&O Symposium, New York, February 6, 2019.
- Co-host, Insurathon 2018, London, November 2, 2018.
- Co-host, Navigating the InsurTech Revolution, Bermuda, September 20, 2018.
- Artificial Intelligence, The Liability Risks at the Liability Underwriters Group Conference, September 12, 2018.
- The Insurance of Crypto Assets and Businesses, Lloyd's Market Talk to Lloyd's Syndicates, August 16, 2018.
- Co-host, Smart Shipping and InsurTech - Reshaping Marine Insurance event co-hosted by Norton Rose Fulbright, MS Amlin and InsTech London, June 13, 2018.
- Panel moderator, InsurTech Insights Conference, June 18, 2018.
- Cryptocurrencies and ICOs seminar, hosted by Marsh, April 30, 2018.
- Use of blockchain platforms in the shipping industry; effects of e-commerce on shipping seminar, IMIF and Maritime London, November 6, 2017.
- Host, inaugural Norton Rose Fulbright Insurathon London, November 3-5, 2017.
- The role of the regulator in the InsurTech revolution, The InsurTech Conference, London, September 22, 2017.
- Association of Chinese Insurance Professionals, London, September 4, 2017.
- Lloyd's Market Association BILA U35, London, July 27, 2017.
- Bringing FinTech innovation and blockchain technology to the insurance market, Thomson Reuters Insurance Law Forum, March 23, 2017.
- The Future of smart contracts in insurance, the FCA's InsurTech conference, March 28-29, 2017.
- FinTech in the Insurance sector, Thomson Reuters Insurance Law Forum, June 9, 2016.
November 11, 2020
September 28, 2020
May 05, 2020
Publication | January 2019
Publication | September 05, 2018
Video | June 22, 2020