Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
- Acquisition finance and corporate lending
- Banking and finance
- Bankruptcy, financial restructuring and insolvency
- Cross-border insolvency representation
- Financial institutions, funds and creditor representation
- Financial investors
- Islamic finance
- Municipal restructuring and bankruptcy
- Private equity and venture capital
Key industry sectors
Omar Salah is a finance and restructuring lawyer based in Amsterdam and London and is head of financial restructuring and insolvency in Amsterdam.
He has extensive experience in advising a global client base, including banks and other creditors, corporates, government bodies, sponsors, investors and other stakeholders.
Omar covers a range of financial restructuring and insolvency cases, including bank and bond debt restructurings, distressed M&A transactions and trading in non-performing loans. He has been involved in some of the most complex cross-border insolvencies globally, including Dutch WHOA proceedings, Dutch suspension of payments and Dutch bankruptcy proceedings with parallel UK scheme of arrangements, US Chapter 11 proceedings and US Chapter 15 proceedings. In addition, Omar has advised various financial institutions on their emergency regulations as well as recovery and resolution proceedings.
Omar's practice also covers banking and finance matters and he has advised on numerous leveraged and acquisition financings, asset-based financings, real estate financings and investment grade corporate loans. He has noted experience in Islamic finance and holds a PhD in sukuk (Islamic securities). Omar has acted for many Dutch and international corporates on their corporate finance transactions, often covering multiple jurisdictions. He also advises sponsors, banks and direct lenders in Term Loan B transactions, unitranche financing and other leveraged finance transactions.
Prior to joining the firm, Omar worked for a leading Dutch law firm and an international US law firm in Amsterdam, London and Singapore.
- INSOLAD/Grotius Specialisatieopleiding Insolventierecht (cum laude)
- PhD, Sukuk Structures: Legal Engineering Under Dutch Law
- LLM, Dutch law (cum laude)
- LLB, International and European law (with distinction)
- LLB, Dutch law (with distinction)
- Advocaat, qualified in the Netherlands
- A US distressed debt investor – on the first-ever WHOA proceedings in the Netherlands as part of the global restructuring of the Steinhoff group with parallel scheme of arrangements in the UK and s155 scheme of arrangement in South Africa*
- A leading European retailer listed in the Netherlands – on its debt restructuring, rescue financing and distressed M&A transaction*
- A central bank – on the emergency regulations of one of the largest insurance groups in the Caribbean with recognition thereof in Chapter 15 proceedings in the US*
- Oi Telecom's key finance vehicle – on a US$6bn bond debt restructuring in the Netherlands as part of a US$20bn global restructuring in the US, UK, Brazil and Portugal, including Chapter 15 proceedings in the US and recuperação judicial proceedings in Brazil*
- Various creditors – in the bankruptcy of Lehman Brothers Treasury Co BV, the Dutch financing vehicle of Lehman Brothers*
- A European private equity firm – on the acquisition financing for a large Dutch corporate*
- A European private equity firm – on the unitranche financing for an international corporate*
- A US distressed debt investor – on the acquisition of NPL portfolios
- A US private equity firm – on various NPL transactions, real estate finance transactions and leveraged finance transactions*
- A European financial institution – on the structuring of Islamic finance products*
- A Dutch multinational company – on Islamic finance murabaha facility agreement for its Middle Eastern activities*
- A listed Indonesian corporate – on its secured facilities agreement*
* Matters handled prior to joining the firm.
- Member of INSOL International
- Member of INSOL Europe
- Member of INSOLAD
- International Correspondent for the Journal of International Banking Law & Regulation
- Visiting Professor of Islamic finance law at IE Business School in Madrid, Spain
- Visiting researcher and lecturer at various universities (including Tilburg University, Leiden University, the University of Oxford and the University of Melbourne)