Our global environmental law team understands that clients seeking high-quality legal advice require lawyers with an in-depth understanding of environmental laws, policy and regulation, both domestically and around the world.
"Clients say: 'The team is very commercial and pragmatic, taking account of the needs and objectives of the business.'" Chambers UK, 2019
From air and water pollution, land contamination, habitat protection and climate change to sustainability, energy efficiency, waste minimization and use of renewables, our environmental lawyers know the importance of properly navigating environmental issues and risk mitigation for successful business operations. Now more than ever, businesses cannot afford to ignore these issues as non-compliance can lead to criminal liability (both corporate and individual) and significant financial and reputational issues.
Our lawyers collaborate with in-house teams and technical practitioners to provide broad legal advice on environmental processes, as well as risk management strategies. We have extensive experience in environmental litigation matters, government enforcement actions, regulatory interpretations and environmental administrative civil and criminal proceedings.
We also are skilled at evaluating environmental impacts and liabilities associated with real estate and business transactions, including drafting indemnification and other contractual terms to protect against the impact of environmental and toxic tort liabilities. We are skilled at negotiating with relevant regulatory authorities, and our global footprint means we can provide a “one-stop shop” for global businesses.
Our areas of work include
- Air quality and atmospheric emissions, including greenhouse gas monitoring, reporting and verification
- Climate risk and director’s duties
- Crisis management, including 24/7 response and advice services for environmental incidents
- Dispute resolution and litigation, including mass tort, toxic tort and class actions
- Energy, including power and transmission, oil and gas, renewables and sustainability, mining and wave and tidal
- Endangered species, protected species and habitats
- Enforcement actions, including criminal defense
- Environmental impact assessments and auditing
- Green buildings and infrastructure projects
- Investigations, including compliance and incident investigations
- Land contamination and remediation
- Legislation, rulemaking, policy and advocacy
- Lender risks and liabilities
- Permitting , licensing, consents and appeals
- Real estate and business transactions, including land and property development
- Regulation compliance counseling
- Risk advisory
- Superfund actions
- Waste management
- Water, including coastal management, water rights and pollution
Awards and Accolades
- Chambers UK, London: Environment, Chambers and Partners, 2019
- Chambers Global, Global-wide: Climate Change, Chambers and Partners, 2019
- Legal 500 UK, London: Environment, The Legal 500, 2019