Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Matthew Thorn is a restructuring and insolvency lawyer based in London.
Matthew has extensive experience acting for debtors, creditors, insolvency practitioners, directors and other stakeholders in financial restructuring transactions, almost all of which include a cross-border element. He advises enforcement and formal restructuring and insolvency processes. His recent focus has been on the shipping, offshore, aviation and infrastructure sectors.
Matthew also acts on general banking and finance matters.
Matthew has been at the firm since 2010 having previously worked for a leading law firm in New Zealand.
- Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
- qualified in England & Wales
Advising / acting for:
- A US based global technology group on its $700m refinancing.
- Secured lenders on the $60m financial restructuring of a Chilean copper mine and the sale of assets out of liquidation.
- A European ferry group on the $700m restructuring of its pension liabilities and financial debt.
- An African cement group on the restructuring of its $175m debt with commercial and development financiers.
- An international cruise line on various counterparty insolvency mandates.
- Secured lenders on the $1bn financial restructuring of a North American based global manufacturing group.
- Secured lenders on the $100m financing of a US based global technology group.
- Senior secured lenders and co-ordinating committees of lenders on the financial restructuring of major international shipping and/or offshore groups.
- The indenture trustee on the English schemes of arrangement for the US-based syncreon Group.
- Citigroup and other lenders on the US$2.2bn restructuring of the NYSE listed Danaos Group.
- A UK-based international infrastructure group on refinancing its working capital, asset finance and bonding facilities.
- Certain foreign landlords on the CVA and administration of a retail group.
- The administrators of an oil tanker group including on the sale of assets and exit from administration.
- A Middle Eastern conglomerate on its multi-billion dollar debt restructuring.
- A European export credit agency on the global restructuring of Abengoa S.A..
- Senior lenders on restructuring and subsequent administration of an offshore supply group, including the sale of a bespoke pipe-laying vessel and equipment.
- A lender on the restructuring of its exposure to a commodity client, including application for summary judgment in the English High Court and enforcement of security across Europe.
- A European bank in the US Chapter 11 proceedings of Excel Maritime.
- The senior lenders on the financial restructuring and recapitalization of an international packaging group listed on the Athens stock exchange.
- The restructuring of a number of energy supply companies.
Blog | August 31, 2023
Publication | August 01, 2023
Publication | Q3 2023