Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Annabelle is a dispute resolution lawyer for the aviation sector based in the London and Munich offices.
She acts for clients in the aviation industry. Annabelle's work includes disputes relating to aircraft purchase, leasing and financing, repossessions, maintenance and airport contracts, insurance coverage, product liability and regulation within the aviation industry. She has experience of all major dispute forums, including English and international courts, and domestic and international arbitration under LCIA and ICC rules.
Annabelle is ranked in Band 3 by Chambers and Partners in the Aviation: Dispute Resolution category and is recognised by peers as "excellent" and "an amazing support." Annabelle Wheeler offers strength in maintenance and lease disputes, alongside experience of purchase agreements.
She is also ranked by Legal 500 as "Next Gen Partners".
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
Annabelle's recent experience includes:
- acting for Qatar Airways in Optimares S.p.A. v Qatar Airways Group Q.C.S.C.  EWHC 2461 (Comm), successfully defending a claim for over US$20 million by an Italian seat manufacturer and successfully bringing a counterclaim for reimbursement of advance payments
- acting for Saudi Arabian Airlines in a Commercial Court leasing dispute involving 50 Airbus A320 and A330 aircraft with lessor IAFC (settled before trial)
- acting for DS Aviation in a Commercial Court dispute with Air France concerning the redelivery of an A380 aircraft (settled before trial)
- acting for Virgin Atlantic in a Commercial Court dispute against a lessor in relation to the repayment of qualifying maintenance reserves (settled before trial)
- advising various European operators on redelivery disputes issues, including compliance with redelivery conditions, end of lease reconciliation payments, engine borescope findings, deposit issues, non-payment (and other) events of default
- advising on delivery issues including compliance with conditions precedent, good faith negotiation obligations, deposit return
- advising on wet leasing disputes, including cancellation rights, unavailability of aircraft, force majeure issues
- advising on a wide range of manufacturing and maintenance issues, including under engine and aircraft maintenance agreements including performance thresholds and scope of coverage issues, seat supplier contracts including issues of (non)-excusable delay, liquidated damages, supply chain issues and termination rights
- representing Virgin Atlantic Airways Limited in a Commercial Court product liability claim and advising on parallel proceedings in Japan
- representing Jet2.com in Jet2.com v Blackpool Airport Limited  EWCA Civ 417, an airport agreement dispute in which Jet2.com obtained a mandatory injunction
- representing a UK airline in a judicial review concerning air passenger duty
- acting for a lessor in the successful arrest and delivery up of an Antonov 124 aircraft.
- Advising airlines on commercial matters under bespoke airport agreements and associated charging regimes, on Groundhandling agreements and associated claim and dealing with a variety of commercial, insurance and regulatory issues.
Chambers and Partners
Aviation: Dispute Resolution – Band 3
"Annabelle Wheeler offers strength in maintenance and lease disputes, alongside experience of purchase agreements."
"She has been an amazing support on a range of matters - she can really do it all."
"Annabelle Wheeler is excellent."
"Exceptional service levels, dedication and support."
"The individuals in this team are very understanding, compassionate, considerate, and patient!"
The Legal 500
"Next Gen Partners"– Transport: Aviation