Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
- Environmental, social and governance (ESG)
- Financial services and regulation
- Funds and asset management
- Sustainable finance
Key industry sectors
Daniel Nevzat is a financial services and markets lawyer based in London. He is a member of our financial services and regulation, environmental, social and governance (ESG), and government relations and public policy (GRPP) practices.
Daniel focuses on financial services law and regulatory advisory matters. He advises clients on regulatory compliance relating to funds, ESG and sustainable finance, conduct, market abuse, remuneration and governance. Daniel has experience in advising on the financial regulatory aspects of fund formation, mergers and acquisitions, restructuring, and private and public capital markets transactions.
Daniel also provides strategic counsel and advocacy support, drawing on his knowledge of public policy and process. He assists clients at each stage of the rule-making process, from consultation and the development of primary and secondary legislation, regulation and guidance, through to the implementation of final rules.
Daniel advises a range of clients, including asset and fund managers, private equity and venture capital funds, listed funds, investment advisers, banks and international financial institutions.
Prior to joining the firm, Daniel managed the regulatory affairs function of a global asset management group, advising on regulatory policy, engagement and implementation issues. He then moved to a leading UK public affairs consultancy where he advised banks, asset managers and insurers on policy and political matters.
Daniel has published articles in several respected academic journals on law and regulation relating to asset management as well as ESG and sustainable finance, and regularly provides comment to online and print media.
- International Financial Law, LL.M., King's College London
- Law, LL.B., BPP University
- Politics and Modern History, B.A. Hons, University of Manchester
- Investment Management Diploma (ESG), CFA UK
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- Advised various clients on regulatory perimeter issues and compliance with the FCA Rules and relevant European legislation (such as AIFMD and MIFID II).
- Assisted a Canadian private equity manager in the process of making a notification to the FCA to market its funds under the UK's national private placement regime and advised on applicable regulatory requirements.
- Assisted a listed fund focused on investments in care homes with a secondary offering, which involved advising on relevant UK marketing restrictions and other applicable regulatory requirements.
- Advised a UK asset manager on the application of the FCA's outsourcing rules to a suite of delegation arrangements and assisted in redrafting contractual documentation to ensure compliance with the applicable regulatory requirements.
- Acted for an Australian insurer in reviewing and negotiating various term sheets and investment management agreements (IMAs) to be entered into with a number of global asset managers.
- Assisted a global asset manager in relation to the establishment of a private fund focused on investing in climate technology (Climatech) businesses.
- Assisted a leading UK asset manager in respect of the establishment of a private fund focused on facilitating investment into ethnic minority owned businesses.
- Counselled various UK asset managers on their implementation of the FCA's Consumer Duty, including the scope and application of the new rules.
ESG and sustainable finance
- Counselled various asset managers and funds on the requirements of the Sustainable Finance Disclosure Regulation (SFDR) and Taxonomy Regulation, including product categorisation, Taxonomy-alignment and assessing the principal adverse impacts (PAIs) of investment decisions on sustainability factors, and assisted in drafting the mandated disclosures.
- Advised a global asset manager on the FCA's disclosure requirements that are aligned to the Task Force for Climate-related Financial Disclosures (TCFD), and the proposed Sustainability Disclosure Requirements (SDR), including the impact of these rules at entity-level and product-level.
- Assisted a sustainable finance digital platform with a review of its marketing materials to ensure that all ESG-related claims were compliant with relevant regulatory standards and to mitigate potential greenwashing risks; and provided advice on applicable legislative requirements and industry best practice.
- Advised a listed fund focusing on renewable energy infrastructure on the implications of a range of voluntary ESG initiatives in preparation for its IPO, including the TCFD Recommendations, the United Nations Principles for Responsible Investment (UN PRI) and the LSE Green Economy Mark.
- Counselled an Australian insurance group on incorporating ESG matters into its IMAs, covering issues such as investment guidelines/restrictions, disclosure, stewardship and fiduciary duties.
- Advised an investment manager on the interpretation and implementation of the legislation under the EU sustainable finance package as well as the FCA's TCFD-aligned climate-related disclosure rules.
- Counselled an asset and wealth manager on meeting its obligations on integrating ESG factors and upholding fiduciary duties to its clients.
- Advised a global banking group on the obligations and practical considerations related to becoming a signatory to the UNEP FI Principles for Responsible Banking.
- Delivered a training session to a global mining company on ESG developments, covering ESG corporate disclosure, human rights due diligence laws, the Equator Principles 4 and ESG-related litigation.
- Advised an asset and wealth manager on the interpretation and impact of the FCA's guiding principles on ESG fund design, delivery and disclosure.
- Brexit Tier 1 - Legal 500 UK, 2019
Publication | September 01, 2023
Publication | August 14, 2023
Publication | June 26, 2023