Co-Head of Insurance, United States
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Mina Matin is co-head of the firm's Insurance International Business Group. Recognized as a leading practitioner in insurance and reinsurance disputes and Bermuda Form arbitrations, Ms. Matin has extensive experience representing international insurers, reinsurers, and captive insurance companies in litigation and arbitrations, particularly in the US, Bermuda, and the UK. In light of her unique knowledge and practice of US, English and Bermuda law, Ms. Matin has particular experience in Bermuda Form arbitrations. She has handled numerous Bermuda Form arbitrations in London and Bermuda as lead insurance coverage partner and barrister.
Ms. Matin's practice has included most classes of business, including general liability, environmental coverage, property, financial institutions, professional liability, products liability, directors' and officers' liability, errors and omissions, and finite reinsurance with a particular emphasis on Bermuda Form disputes. She has handled losses stemming from some of the highest-profile insurance and reinsurance cases, including major pharmaceutical class actions, environmental disasters, toxic chemical pollution, product liability class actions, energy-related disasters (including gas explosions), sexual abuse claims and worker's compensation carve-out matters.
Ms. Matin also advises clients on corporate insurance and reinsurance issues as well as advising insurers on policies related to FinTech products. Ms. Matin also collaborated with the Bermudian government for the purposes of promoting the FinTech industry in Bermuda and provided knowledge and experiences in establishing legislative and regulatory frameworks.
Ms. Matin has represented clients before the UK Commercial Court, the Supreme Court of Bermuda, the Bermuda Court of Appeal and various US federal courts, and in arbitrations under the English Arbitration Act 1996, the UNCITRAL Model Law, the Bermuda International Conciliation and Arbitration Act 1993, the American Arbitration Association Rules, and the ARIAS US Rules.
Ms. Matin is dually qualified in the UK and is both a barrister and solicitor of England & Wales. She is also a barrister and attorney in Bermuda and is admitted to practice in New York and California.
Ms. Matin has been ranked in Chambers & Partners from 2017 to 2022 where a source has lauded "She is a real specialist on Bermuda Form work and I think very highly of her" adding "She is truly excellent", "She produces astonishing work," Legal 500 2021 where she is recognized for her expertise in Bermuda Form arbitrations, Lawdragon's Global Litigation and Arbitration 500, 2021 and as a leading insurance and reinsurance practitioner in the Insurance & Reinsurance Expert Guides, 2020 to 2021.
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
Inns of Court School of Law, 1996
LLB, with Honors, University College London, 1995
Member of Lincoln's Inn (Called to the Bar in 1996 as a Hardwicke Scholar)
- Bermuda Bar
- Bar of England and Wales
- New York State Bar
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Representing insurer in connection with a Bermuda Form dispute involving personal injury and property damage claims arising out of a toxic chemical/ pesticide.
- Representing insurer in connection with a Bermuda Form dispute involving property damage claims arising out of a toxic chemical / soil fumigant.
- Represented insurer in a Bermuda Form arbitration involving personal injury claims by insured organization arising out of sexual abuse perpetrated by one of its members against minor children.
- Represented several insurers in connection with a Bermuda Form dispute arising out of a major gas leak.
- Represented five insurers in connection with a Bermuda Form arbitration involving toxic chemical pollution in the U.S..
- Represented an insurer in connection with a Bermuda Form arbitration involving personal injury and property damage claims arising out of exposure to a toxic chemical.
- Represented a captive insurer in connection with an arbitration involving claims by a major pharmaceutical company relating to a pharmaceutical drug (Bermuda arbitration).
- Bermuda Cablevision v Department of Telecommunications  SC (Bda) 1 Civ. and  SC (Bda) 13 Civ. (13 February 2009) and Department of Telecommunications v. Bermuda Cablevision  CA (Bda) 1 Civ.
- Munib Masri v. Consolidated Contractors International Company Ltd.  Bda L.R. 12.
- Phoenix Global and Phoenix Capital v. Citigroup and The Bank of Bermuda  Bda LR 61.
- Montpelier Reinsurance Ltd. v. Manufacturers Property & Casualty Ltd.  Bda LR 9.
- Starr Excess Liability Insurance Company Ltd. v. General Reinsurance Corp.  Bda LR 34.
- Sphere Drake Insurance Ltd. & Anr. v. Euro International Underwriting Ltd.  EWHC 1636 (Commercial Court) (8 July 2003).
- Advised insurers in the development of insurance policies relating to FinTech products.
- Collaborated with the Bermudian government for the purposes of promoting the FinTech industry in Bermuda and provided knowledge and experiences in establishing legal and regulatory frameworks.
- Lawdragon Global Litigation 500 - International Arbitration and Litigation, especially Insurance, Lawdragon Inc., 2021
- Chambers USA: New York, Insurance: Dispute Resolution: Insurer, Chambers and Partners, 2018 – 2022. Ms. Matin is particularly recognized for her expertise in Bermuda Form disputes, and receives further praise for her work in reinsurance. She also has notable expertise in personal injury, toxic tort and property damage claims. A source has lauded "Mina is a very experienced coverage lawyer with a wealth of knowledge in London arbitration and New York law." "Mina is a tremendously hard-working and highly capable lawyer - she is also an absolute delight to work with." "Mina has excellent attention to detail and operates at a very high level legally. Others have stated: "nothing short of amazing…She produces astonishing work" "She is a real specialist on Bermuda Form work and I think very highly of her" adding "She is truly excellent."
- Legal 500 US, Recommended Lawyer, International Arbitration, The Legal 500, 2021-2022
- Legal 500 US, Recommended Lawyer, International litigation, The Legal 500, 2021-2022
- Recognized practitioner, Chambers USA: New York, Insurance: Dispute Resolution: Insurer, Chambers and Partners, 2017
- Leading Insurance & Reinsurance practitioner, Expert Guides, 2020 – 2021
- "The impact of artificial intelligence upon liability and Bermuda Form insurance: Will robotic machinery rule?" Norton Rose Fulbright Legal Update, February 2018
- "The Bermuda Form Arbitration Process: A Glimpse Through the Insurers' Spectacles (Updated for 2017)," ARIAS US Conference Materials, November 2017
- "The good and the evil of permissive notices of occurrences under the XL-004 Bermuda Form Policy," Legal Update, October 2017 (Note - Law360 also published this article on Nov. 9, 2017.)
- "The Unknown of 'Known Losses," New York Law Journal, October 16, 2017
- "The Bermuda Form Arbitration Process: A Glimpse Through the Insurers' Spectacles," ABA Litigation Conference Materials, March 2017
- Speaker, "Unraveling choice of law issues in Bermuda Follow Form Policies" AXA XL, Bermuda, June 2022
- Speaker, "Bermuda Form Arbitrations: Fertile or Barren Ground for ARIAS US Arbitrators??" ARIAS US 2021 Fall Conference, November 2, 2021
- Moderator, "Fireside Chat with The Honorable Wayne Caines, Minister of National Security, Bermuda," NetDiligence Cyber Risk Summit, Bermuda March 2019
- Speaker, "Artificial Intelligence Part II: A Paradigm Shift for Insurance," Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE Seminar, Tucson, Arizona, February 2019
- Moderator, "Charting the New Tech Territory," Bermuda Business Development Agency's FinTech Forum," London, November 28, 2018
- Moderator, "The InsurTech Revolution: Insights from Bermuda's Pioneers," Bermuda Business Development Agency's Executive Forum, London, November 27, 2018
- Speaker, Bermuda Business Development Agency's Executive Forum, Miami, October 2018
- Speaker, "Navigating the InsurTech Revolution," Norton Rose Fulbright Seminar, Hamilton HM, Bermuda, September 20, 2018
- Panelist, "The Blockchain Capital Markets Transformation," Blockchain Futurist Conference, Toronto, Canada, August 16, 2018
- Moderator, "An audience with the Premier of Bermuda on the new ICO and Digital Asset legislation," New York, Norton Rose Fulbright, May 15, 2018
- Co-speaker, "How AI and machine learning are impacting the insurance industry," Artificial Intelligence and Insurance: A Glimpse of the Future, XLCatlin Bermuda, Bermuda, March 28, 2018
- "Artificial Intelligence and Insurance: A Glimpse of the Future," Insurance Coverage Litigation Committee CLE Seminar, Tucson, Arizona, February 2018
- "The Hazards of Permissive Occurrences under the XL-004 Bermuda Form Policy," XLCatlin Bermuda, Bermuda, September 20, 2017
- "Top Ten Tips for Success," Bermuda Young Lawyers Group of the Bermuda Bar Association, Hamilton, Bermuda, September 19, 2017
- "Hot Issues in Bermuda Form Arbitrations," ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation Conference, Tucson, AZ, March 5, 2016
- "The Diesel Dupe – How will it impact Bermudian insurers under XL-004?," Fourth Annual Bermuda Insurance Institute's Insurance Market Conference, XLCatlin Bermuda, October 9, 2015
- "The U.K. Insurance Act 2015: A seismic event in the development of English Insurance Law," Guest Speaker with Gavin Kealey Q.C., Endurance Bermuda, May 15, 2015
- Conversations on International Arbitration and the Bermuda Form," Guest Speaker with Gavin Kealey Q.C., XLCatlin Bermuda, May 13, 2015
- "The Bermuda Form (Re)Visited," Co-presenter with Gavin Kealey Q.C., Chadbourne & Parke (London) LLP, February 18, 2015
- Guest speaker, "Demystifying Integrated Occurrences," AON, Philadelphia, PA, March 11, 2014
- "The Award of Pre-Hearing Security & Dispositive Motions – The Basic Elements of Arbitration," Program Organizer and Advocate representing cedent and reinsurer in a mock reinsurance arbitration, October 30, 2013
- Guest speaker, "Demystifying Integrated Occurrences," XL Bermuda's Seminar Series to the Bermuda Insurance Market, October 2, 2013
- Moderator of an Ethics Session and Panel Speaker on Ethics Issues, "Emerging Risks & Products," ARIAS, May 8-10, 2013
- Guest Speaker, "Navigating the Bermuda Form Waters at XL Bermuda's 25th Anniversary Seminar Series," XL Bermuda's 25th Anniversary Seminar Series, October 2011
- Former Advisory counsel member, Sedgwick Women's Forum
- Former Chair, APIW's Events Sub-Committee, APIW
- ARIAS US
- Bermuda Bar Association
Assessing arbitrator impartiality in the wake of Halliburton v. Chubb
Publication | May 05, 2022