Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Practising extensively in the area of complex commercial transactions, Rick Borden focuses on large-scale projects and financings in the energy sector, including oil sands projects, pipeline projects and LNG projects. His clients include major Canadian banks and project sponsors and he has strong relationships with the key project lending specialists at the major Canadian banks.
He also has significant experience in joint venture arrangements in the energy sector and often advises on matters such as default and remedy provisions in joint venture agreements. Mr. Borden generally acts as the lead counsel on all transactions in which he is involved and is directly involved in structuring matters, due diligence investigations, negotiating key business terms and drafting from the term sheet stage through to final documentation.
In addition, he has been extensively involved in negotiating intercreditor agreements and third-party consents and acknowledgements with third-party project participants in various project financings. Whether acting for borrowers or lenders, Mr. Borden has a unique ability to combine a high degree of technical expertise with a commercial approach that facilitates the successful completion of complex financings and projects.
- LL.B., University of Saskatchewan, 1983
- B.A., University of Regina, 1980
- Alberta 1984
Acted for Kitimat LNG Inc., which was previously arranging financing, transportation and processing arrangements for the construction of an LNG import, regasification and send-out terminal near Kitimat, British Columbia
Currently acting for an Asian investor on financing-related matters relating to the Douglas Channel LNG project for Douglas Channel in British Columbia
Currently acting for Marathon Oil Canada Corporation on joint venture matters relating to the Athabasca oil sands project
Currently acting for Vantage Pipeline on financing, processing and transportation-related matters relating to a new ethane pipeline project
Currently acting for Gibson Energy Ltd. on financing matters
Currently acting for AltaGas Ltd. on a new midstream transportation and processing project in Alberta
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2011 - 2021: recommended in Banking & Financial Institutions; Project Finance
- Acritas Stars 2019-2021 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Who's Who Legal: Canada - Banking, Project Finance 2014-2015, 2020
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2020: recommended in Banking & Financial Institutions; Project Finance
- Chambers Global, Canada: Banking and Finance, Chambers and Partners, 2018-2021
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Banking and Finance (Band 1), Chambers and Partners, 2020-2021
- The Legal 500 Canada: Banking & Finance (Leading Lawyer), 2016-2021
- International Financial Law Review 1000, Canada: Banking; Project finance (Highly Regarded), 2021
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Banking and Finance Law, Corporate Law, Energy Law, Oil & Gas Law, Project Finance Law, 2006-2021
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Project Finance Law "Lawyer of the Year", 2012, 2016
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Banking and Finance Law "Lawyer of the Year", 2011, 2014
- The International Who’s Who of Banking Lawyers, 2011-2013
- The International Who’s Who of Project Finance Lawyers, 2011-2013
- Lexpert® Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Corporate Lawyers in Canada, 2012
- Expert Guide, 2011: Banking Lawyers
- Expert Guide, 2009: Project Finance Lawyers
- PLC Which Lawyer? 2011: Energy (Canada)
- Law Society of Alberta
- The Calgary Bar Association