Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Remco Smorenburg is a Tax lawyer (advocaat) and is Head of the Tax practice in Amsterdam. He has over 20 years of experience in international corporate taxation, with a particular interest in the energy/infrastructure and transport sectors.
Remco’s experience includes advising on the tax aspects of international group (re)structuring, domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions (M&A), private equity transactions (PE), public private partnerships (PPP), debt restructuring and other finance structures including debt capital markets (DCM) and tax-based asset finance structures (shipping/aviation).
Remco is recommended in The Legal 500 with clients praising the "down to earth approach" of the practice and its industry knowledge and he is ranked in World Tax of Internal Tax Review. Remco has published a range of international articles and publications. He is the country correspondent for the Netherlands for Tax Notes International (TNI) and author of the Dutch section "Tax Aspects of International Acquistions" of Practical Law for Companies (PLC).
- Civil Law at the University of Utrecht (1996)
- Tax Law at the University of Amsterdam (1998)
- Post-graduate EU Tax Law at the Erasmus University of Rotterdam (2000).
- Advocaat, qualified in the Netherlands
- Orde van Advocaten: Remco Smorenburg heeft in het rechtsgebiedenregister van de Nederlandse orde van advocaten de volgende rechtsgebieden geregistreerd: Belastingrecht
- Tax Law 1999
- Luxembourg based BBGI on its investment in a Dutch PPP project
- BMW Netherlands on the sale of one of its dealerships
- Canadian Tire Corporation on the structuring and tax aspects of its acquisition of Helly Hansen
- Commerzbank on VAT, RETT and CIT aspects of multiple real estate financing transactions in the Netherlands
- DNV GL on the disentanglement and subsequent sale of the Power TIC (KEMA) business
- Multiple clients on the energy tax consequences associated with the use of battery storage facilities
- Guy Carpenter & Company on insurance tax aspects of an innovative re-insurance product
- Insurance underwriters on all Dutch tax aspects of warranty & indemnity and tax insurance coverage for a range of M&A transactions
- ICTSI, a listed Philippines container terminal operator, on tax structuring and DCM transactions (MTN program) involving Dutch group entities
- Northern Trust on the establishment of a Dutch mutual fund (FGR) structure
- Royal Dutch Shell on Dutch domestic taxes (energy tax, RETT, OZB) in connection with Shell's continued investment in renewable energy sources,including the development and/or acquisition of multiple solar farms in the Netherlands
- The Legal 500 - Tax (Netherlands): Tier2
- Ranked in International Tax Review - Worldtax
- Dutch Association of Tax Advisors (NOB)
- Dutch Bar Association (NOvA)
- Dutch Association of Tax Litigators (NvAB)
Publication | November 2019
Publication | November 15, 2019
Publication | September 18, 2019
Publication | August 05, 2019