We are one of the few global law firms able to provide the full range of legal services needed by today’s sophisticated shipping companies. Due to the size of our global team, the breadth of our international experience and the diverse range of areas of law in which we have significant knowledge, we are able to handle any shipping-related matter, from the most complex structured finance to anti-competitive actions, from ship conversion disputes to offshore disputes and from the latest environmental regulation to the impact of blockchain and the digitalization of the whole industry.
“Norton Rose Fulbright is an outstanding shipping practice with significant global presence across Asia, Europe and the Americas, as well as a respected shipping group in South Africa.” Chambers Global, 2022
Our knowledge encompasses all aspects of corporate shipping transactions including mergers and acquisitions, restructurings, complex finance and leasing deals and ship sales, acquisitions and charter transactions. Our shipping lawyers advise a range of clients on the full spectrum of international shipping finance including work for banks, lessors, brokers, owners and operators worldwide.
We provide advice to all types of corporates on the risks and regulations surrounding the operation of ships and the carriage of goods and passengers by sea, together with environmental advice on new emissions regulations and possible carbon taxes. We also advise on anti-bribery, corruption and sanctions issues as they affect the shipping industry.
In litigation and disputes, our shipping lawyers are skilled in advising on all industry-related issues, including major casualties, marine insurance coverage claims, enforcement of security and criminal prosecutions. The group also boasts a 24/7 emergency response service comprised of Master Mariners and shipping lawyers who provide legal advice on claims and investigations from our offices worldwide.
Our areas of work include
- Admiralty matters
- Asset and lease financing
- Bankruptcy, financial restructuring and insolvency
- Capital markets, private debt and equity placements
- Commercial contracts including charterparties, collateral management agreements and port services agreements
- Corporate governance and structure, including risk management
- Islamic finance
- Joint ventures
- Litigation and disputes
- Marine insurance disputes, coverage and subrogated recoveries
- Maritime casualty response
- M&A, commercial transactions and divestitures
- Regulatory, including environmental and sanctions
- Secured and unsecured financings and structured finance
- Chambers Global, Global-wide: Asset Finance, Chambers and Partners, 2022
- Chambers Global, Global-wide: Shipping: Litigation, Chambers and Partners, 2022
- Chambers Global, Global-wide: Shipping: Finance (Band 1), Chambers and Partners, 2022
December 01, 2022
July 18, 2022
September 08, 2021