Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Laura Smith is a senior associate in Norton Rose Fulbright's Dallas office. Her practice focuses primarily on commercial bankruptcy and includes representation of debtors, lenders, creditors and trustees under chapter 11 and 7 of the Bankruptcy Code. She represents debtors, lenders, lessors, landlords, financial institutions, and trustees in chapter 11 and chapter 7 bankruptcy cases as well as adversary proceedings. Immediately prior to joining Norton Rose Fulbright, Laura served for nine years as the career law clerk to US Bankruptcy Judge Stacey G.C. Jernigan for the Northern District of Texas, where she had the opportunity to work closely with bankruptcy judges both in and outside of Texas as well as assist Judge Jernigan in presiding over various bankruptcy cases and adversary proceedings.
- JD, cum laude, Southern Methodist University, 2008
- BS, summa cum laude, Boston University, 2005
While in law school, was a member of the Duberstein Bankruptcy Moot Court Team. Results included a first-place finish in the Regional Elliot Cup Competition and runner-up in the National Duberstein Competition.
- Texas State Bar
- Representation of official commitee of unsecured creditors in restructuring of the National Rifle Association of America and Sea Girt LLC.
- Representation of 62 debtors in chapter 7 liquidation proceeding.
- Representation of official commitee of unsecured creditors of multi-debtor movie theatre operator.
- Representation of official committee of unsecured creditors of a publicly-traded medical device company.
- Representation of secured lender in Boy Scouts of America restructuring.
- Representation of secured lender in multi-debtor chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding involving franchisor of Mr. Gatti's Pizza and GiGi's Cupcakes.
- Representation of Chapter 7 trustee in an appeal regarding the issue of personal jurisdiction over a defendant in an adversary proceeding.
- Representation of publicly-traded medical device company in chapter 11 case which resulted in the successful sale of substantially all of the debtor's assets and confirmation of a liquating plan.
- Representation of secured lender in multi-debtor chapter 11 bankruptcy proceeding involving one of the largest networks of company-owned and franchised fitness centers in the world.
- Representation of Chapter 7 trustee as special counsel for purposes of pursuing potential fraudulent transfer claims against various parties.
- Co-author, "INSIGHT: Resolving federal tax disputes in bankruptcy," Bloomberg Tax, June 2020
- Author, "Keeping up with the Joneses: In bold cross-border move, the DIFC enacts new insolvency law," Norton Rose Fulbright International Restructuring Newswire, October 2019
- The Chambers/Bankruptcy Bench Bar Conference, April 19, 2019
- State Bar of Texas Bankruptcy Section CLE Webinar: Getting the Real Estate Deal Done, May 6, 2020
- Bankruptcy Tips for the Non-Bankruptcy Practitioner, Dallas Bar Association, January 29, 2021
- Career Law Clerk, Honorable Stacey G.C. Jernigan, 2009-2019
- Chair, International Women's Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation
- Member, The Honorable John C. Ford American Inn of Court
- Member, DFW Association of Young Bankruptcy Lawyers
Publication | June 29, 2020
Publication | October 2019