Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Susanna Rogers is a competition and regulatory lawyer based in London.
Much of Susanna's work involves advising regulated companies on how to deal with their most critical interactions with the Competition and Markets Authority and with the UK sector regulators. She regularly deals with fast-paced, highly sensitive matters including internal whistleblower investigations, competition dawn raids and subsequent CA98 investigations, licence enforcement proceedings, strategic transactions and regulatory disputes. She also advises on litigation challenges to competition and regulatory decisions in court and before the UK CAT.
Her experience in working for the UK's sector regulator for rail is invaluable in enabling her to approach cases with practical insight gained from first-hand experience of conducting competition and regulatory investigations and helping to deliver price controls.
Susanna has extensive experience across a range of sectors, including electricity and gas transmission, electricity distribution, gas distribution, water and sewerage, rail, air traffic services, telecoms and financial institutions. She has become particularly well known for her strategic and commercial approach advising regulated utilities on challenging price control settlements before the UK Competition and Markets Authority. Key to Susanna's success is her ability to work collaboratively and effectively within multidisciplinary teams, including with regulatory and competition economists, financial analysts, policy advisors, in-house counsel and business leaders.
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
- BA (Hons) Geography, University of Nottingham, 2000
- Postgraduate Diploma in Law, BPP Law School, 2001
- Legal Practice Course, BPP Law School, 2002
- Higher Courts (All Proceedings) Qualification, 2006
- Postgraduate Diploma in EC Competition Law, 2007
- Postgraduate Diploma in Economics for Competition Law, 2008
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- Solicitor, Advocate, qualified in England & Wales 2004
- National Grid Electricity Transmission plc and National Grid Gas plc - in appeals before the Competition and Markets Authority challenging aspects of Ofgem's RIIO-T2 price control settlement.
- Bristol Water plc - in its appeal before the Competition and Markets Authority for redetermination of Ofwat's PR19 price control settlement.
- Leading international bank - on an investigation by the Competition and Markets Authority into alleged breach of Chapter 1 of the Competition Act 1998
- Energy Networks Association - as an intervener in the appeal by NATS En-Route Limited before the Competition and Markets Authority for redetermination of the CAA's RP3 price control settlement.
- UK water company - on an investigation concerning allegations by a whistleblower of licence breach.
- System Operator for Northern Ireland (SONI) - in its appeal before the Competition and Markets Authority challenging aspects of NIAUR's 2015-2020 price control settlement.
- Electricity North West Limited - in the appeals by (1) British Gas Trading Limited and (2) Northern Powergrid before the Competition and Markets Authority challenging aspects of Ofgem's RIIO-ED1 price control determinations for electricity distribution network operators.
- Leading international bank - on the European Commission's investigation into alleged manipulation of the FOREX benchmark.
- UK water company - as an intervener in support of Ofwat in connection with a case before the UK Competition Appeal Tribunal
The Legal 500 UK, 2022
Clients report that Susanna is "very diligent, very calm", is "organised and really nice to deal with", possesses "great knowledge and understanding", is "willing to respond to changing client demands" and provides "great practical advice delivered efficiently".
- Co-author, Cartel leniency in the UK, PLC, 2017
- Co-author, Antitrust concerns surrounding digital repricing software, Digital Business Lawyer, 2016
- Co-author, Pharmaceutical Antitrust: United Kingdom, Getting the deal through, 2016
- Dawn raid workshop - in-house guide for digital dawn raids, 3rd Annual Competition Law Conference, Thomson Reuters, 2015
Keeping your dawn raid guidance current
Publication | November 21, 2022
Regulatory Trends: Next steps in energy and water regulation – confluence and convergence
Publication | July 28, 2022
Regulatory Trends: New nuclear RAB funding model
Publication | July 12, 2022