Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Dr Marco Niehaus is a corporate, M&A and securities lawyer and partner in Frankfurt.
According to recent surveys, Marco belongs to Germany's most renowned M&A lawyers and is also ranked as one of Germany's most renowned corporate lawyers (WirtschaftsWoche - Top Lawyer M&A 2019 and TOP Lawyer Corporate Law 2019). The Legal 500 lists Marco as a "very experienced advisor for complex deals" in its edition for 2019.
Marco has broad experience of advising on domestic and cross-border M&A transactions, real estate deals and private equity investments (sell-side and buy-side). Besides transactional work, Marco provides strategic legal advice to decision makers inter alia in the areas of: corporate law; joint ventures, industry-specific distributions and contract law; corporate governance/compliance; and restructurings/distressed M&A. He frequently advises on carve-outs, minority participations and management equity programs.
His clients include strategic and institutional investors, as well as numerous listed companies and private equity funds. He advises the leading insurers in underwriting matters for complex M&A deals. Marco's advisory practice recently also included the automotive sector, life sciences/healthcare and the new technologies industry. Marco maintains an active China desk and advises various Chinese clients across different industries.
Marco is a regular author for leading law publications and the business press. He maintains close contact with academia and is a lecturer for corporate law and M&A. Marco is a member of the board of trustees (Kuratorium) of the EBS Law School in Wiesbaden/Germany.
He was admitted to practice law as a German lawyer (Rechtsanwalt) in 2008. Prior to joining us, Marco worked with leading national and international law firms for several years.
- Doctor Juris (Dr. iur.), Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt am Main, 2010
- Master of Law (LL.M.), University of Cambridge (DAAD Scholar), 2009
- 2nd State Exam, Regional Court of Frankfurt am Main, 2008
- Magister Legum of European and International Business Law (LL.M. Eur.), Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt am Main, 2005
- 1st State Exam, Johann Wolfgang Goethe University Frankfurt am Main, 2004
- Diploma of Higher Education in Common Law, University of East Anglia, 2001
- Law studies at Universities of Marburg/Lahn, Frankfurt am Main, East Anglia and Cambridge
- Attorney at law 2008
- Leading private equity fund on a US$2.38bn takeover of a global producer and distributor of pharmaceutical capsules
- Leading private equity fund on a 45 percent share participation in a leading optics and camera manufacturer and a €700m takeover of a supplier of functional and outdoor equipment
- Leading private equity fund on a large-volume investment in a global supplier of security systems
- Worlds-largest oil production company on a €2.75bn investment in a joint venture for synthetic rubber products
- Leading pharmaceutical company on the establishment of a joint venture for mobile environmental exposure chambers
- DAX 30 company on a US$1.4bn sale of its wireless solutions business unit to a leading US semi-conductor manufacturer
- Listed company on the takeover of a leading manufacturer of battery systems
- Worlds-largest seller of Mercedes-Benz vehicles on the development of its German business, e.g. advised on the takeover of the east German distribution network for Mercedes-Benz vehicles
- Automotive supplier on the strategic acquisition of a voice control company, a speakers company and a majority participation in a global supplier for vehicle air conditioning and engine cooling
- Leading food distributor on the takeover of a distribution and logistics network
- Leading medical cannabis and hemp company on a US$226m acquisition of a medical cannabinoid company
- Global industrial company on the acquisition of a leading manufacturer of marine technology components
- Insurance company on the underwriting of large-volume warranty & indemnity insurances
- Numerous high volume real estate transactions of strategic and institutional investors.
*includes advice on matters prior to joining the firm
- Shortlisted among Germany's "most renowned M&A lawyers" and "best corporate lawyers" Germany, WirtschaftsWoche 2019
- The Legal 500: Corporate and M&A Germany: described in the 2019 edition as an advisor who "keeps a close eye on related fields thanks to his extensive experience in complex deals"
- Der Ausgleich der Parteiinteressen bei Konkurrenzklauseln nach deutschem und englischem Recht, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, 2014
- Umwandlung notleidender Darlehensforderungen in Eigenkapital unter Einsatz von Zweckgesellschaften, M&A Review, p.538, 2009
- Auswirkungen der Subprime-Krise auf die Finanzierung öffentlicher Übernahmeangebote: Renaissance sekundärer Finanzierungsinstrumente?, M&A Review, p.457, 2008
- Trennung vom GmbH-Geschäftsführer nach einem Share Deal, M&A Review, p. 503, 2007.
- Lecture on joint ventures in the pharmaceutical industry, Deutsche Life Sciences and Healthcare Academy, June 1, 2017
- German-British Lawyers' Association (DBJV)
- Corporate Law Association (VGR)
- Member of the Board of Trustees (Kuratorium) of EBS Law School, Wiesbaden, Germany