Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
Andrew Battisson is an international arbitration lawyer based in Sydney, practicing across Asia Pacific, India and Europe.
He specialises in international commercial and investment treaty arbitration, and acts as counsel to a range of clients in arbitrations under all the major arbitral rules.
Andrew has particular experience of disputes in the finance, energy and infrastructure sectors as well as undertaking general commercial disputes. He is experienced in acting for and against States in investment treaty matters, and also advises clients on dispute resolution structuring in commercial contracts.
Andrew has acted in disputes under both national laws and international law worldwide, particularly in the Asia Pacific, India and Europe. He also sits as arbitrator.
Andrew is an active member of the international arbitration community and serves on the Young SIAC Committee and the SIAC Users Council. He is an Australian delegate to the ICC Commission on Arbitration and ADR, and previously served on the ICC YAF (Young Arbitrator Forum) Regional Coordinating Committee, Asia Chapter for a term of three years. He regularly speaks at arbitration conferences throughout the Asia Pacific.
- Bachelor of Civil Law, University of Oxford 2005
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Australian National University 2002
- Bachelor of Laws (1st class), Australian National University 2002
- Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting), Australian National University 2000
- High Court of Australia 2002
- New South Wales 2002
- Singapore Registered Foreign Lawyer 2009
- Supreme Court of the Australian Capital Territory 2002
- Ranked as "up and coming" (Singapore) in Chambers Global 2014 – 2017 and Chambers Asia-Pacific 2014 -2017 and Band 4 in 2018:
- "Andrew is highly praised as a phenomenal very astute lawyer with an incredible work ethic who shows great attention to detail" (Chambers Asia Pacific 2014)
- "According to one client, Andrew "draws praise for his speedy application of knowledge and highly efficient co-ordination with colleagues in a recent very complicated matter."" (Chambers Global 2015).
- "One client observes: "He's clearly an expert in his field, very easy to work with, creative, with lots of ideas, and it's very easy to bounce ideas off him and test things. We feel like we're in very good hands with Andrew."" (Chambers Asia Pacific 2017).
- "Andrew Battisson is noted by sources for his growing profile in this practice area. He is active in energy and banking disputes and is also noted for his experience in investment treaty arbitration."" (Chambers Asia Pacific 2018).
- Listed as a "future star" in Benchmark Litigation's Asia Pacific 2013 and 2014 rankings.
- Listed in LMG's Expert Guides for "Commercial Arbitration" (2014); and "Rising Stars" (Commercial Arbitration) (2015 and 2016).
- Listed in Who's Who Legal: "Future Leaders: Arbitration" (2017) "Andrew Battisson in Singapore is a "smart lawyer who is very well liked by clients".
- Ranked in Who's Who Legal "Future Leaders: Arbitration" (2018) in the Top 10 Most Highly Regarded Partners in the 'rest of the world' category (Asia and the Middle East) "Andrew Battisson is well known as an understated and clever" advocate with broad commercial expertise in energy and infrastructure disputes."
Publication | November 19, 2019
Publication | September 05, 2019
Publication | September 05, 2019
Publication | May 08, 2019