Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Alain Ricard is Canadian head of our transport team and his practice focusses mainly on projects, infrastructures, corporate finance, structured and project financings, corporate law, commercial law and financial services. In this capacity, he deploys work within our local, national and global platforms in a way that most efficiently addresses our clients' needs.
He regularly represents developers, borrowers, financial institutions and investors in connection with transactions, including in the areas of projects and project financing, acquisitions, monetization, securitization, factoring, structured finance and debt restructuring at the local, national and multijurisdictional level.
Mr. Ricard also has significant experience in derivatives and the regulatory framework governing these products in Canada and worldwide.
- LL.B., Université de Montréal, 1999
- Quebec 2000
Clients for whom Mr. Ricard has recently acted include:
- Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec and its subsidiary CDPQ Infra, in connection with the structuring, financing, acquisition, development of contractual documents and negotiations related to the Réseau express métropolitain de Montréal light rail transit project, in the amount of approximately $6.3 billion, including the negotiations with various stakeholders in the public, quasi-public and private sectors. When brought to fruition, this project will be the third-longest light rail transit project worldwide
- Metro, related to its credit facilities and various acquisitions, including the CA$3.45 billion credit facilities to finance the acquisition of the Jean Coutu Group
- Canadian Tire Corporation, related to its credit facilities and cash operations, particularly in relation to the acquisition of Helly Hansen
- The senior lenders and the bond underwriters, related to the $1.2-billion financing of the new McGill University Health Centre, located on the Glen Campus, in downtown Montreal, and the lenders of Nouvelle Autoroute 30, s.e.n.c., related to the $1.1-billion financing for the completion of Highway 30, located in southwest Montreal
- A Canadian investor, related to an investment in relation to the New Royal Adelaide Hospital project and to an investment in relation to the M7 Westlink project in Australia
- A member of the bidder selected in connection with the Valley Line light rail transit project in Edmonton, and a large subcontractor, related to the $5-billion Eglinton Crosstown light rail transit project in Toronto
- SNC-Lavalin, related to the Maison symphonique de Montréal PPP project and the sale to Industrial Alliance Insurance and Financial Services Inc. of its 100% ownership in Ovation Property Group, which owns the concession rights
- The lender in connection with the $211-million financing of a through-air dried tissue plant in Memphis, Tennessee
- The selected proponent in connection with the PPP for the Restigouche Hospital Centre, in New Brunswick, and the bond refinancing of this project, and the selected proponent in connection with the design-construction-financing project for the construction of a train maintenance facility in Lachine, Quebec, for the Agence métropolitaine de transport
- Caisse de dépôt et placement du Québec in the Canadian restructuring of $35-billion of asset-backed commercial paper issued by non-bank-sponsored conduits
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2020: recommended in Asset Equipment Finance/Leasing; Asset Securitization; Project Finance
- Acritas Stars, 2020: Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Best Lawyers, 2020: Project Finance
- Best Lawyers, 2019 and 2020: Structured Finance
- Acritas Stars, 2017, 2018 and 2019: Designated as a "Star" lawyer by a panel of 3,000 senior in-house counsel worldwide
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2015: Lawyer recognized as a "Rising Star" and one of the Leading Canadian Lawyers Under 40
- Canadian Bar Association
- Chair of the Board of Directors of the Centre d'accès à l'information juridique
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Société d'investissement jeunesse
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Mont-Tremblant Ski Club