Sylwia Maria Bea
Co-Head of Restructuring, EMEA
Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Sylwia Maria BeavCard
Related services and key industries
- Corporate, M&A and securities
- Cross-border insolvency representation
- Risk advisory
- Private equity and venture capital
Dr. Sylwia Maria Bea is an insolvency and corporate lawyer based in Frankfurt. She focuses on advising clients on complex cross-border reorganization and restructuring matters, including insolvency cases.
Sylwia has over ten years' experience of advising the management, investors as well as shareholders and creditors of distressed companies on in- and out-of-court restructuring measures on a regular basis, both in German and internationally. In recent years, she has overseen numerous cross-border restructuring processes, also acting in the context of self-administration proceedings and insolvency protection proceedings as an advisor for various parties involved. In this context, her advice focuses mainly on liability issues, as well as the development and implementation of reorganization plans. She represents both insolvency administrators and investors, as well as buyers in company acquisitions out of insolvency.
Sylwia studied law and European law at Julius-Maximilians-University in Würzburg and achieved an Executive MBA from Boston University in 2011.
She is the co-founder and member of the management board of 'Distressed Ladies – Women in Restructuring e.V.', an established network of women in the insolvency and restructuring market. She regularly gives speeches and takes part in seminars. Sylwia is also a lecturer at Münster University for master's courses on distressed M&A.
Before joining us, Sylwia worked for a leading US law firm in Frankfurt.
She is fluent in German, English and Polish.
- Julius-Maximilians-University Würzburg, Dr. oec., 2019.
- Julius-Maximilians-University Würzburg, Florida Gulf Coast University Fort Myers and Boston University Executive MBA, 2011.
- Landgericht (regional court) Würzburg, 2. Juristisches Staatsexamen (state exam), 2004.
- Julius-Maximilians- University Würzburg, 1. Juristisches Staatsexamen (state exam), 2002.
- European law studies, 2002.
- Fachanwältin für Handels, und Gesellschaftsrecht 2009
- Rechtsanwältin 2004
- Feilo Sylvania, a German subsidiary of a global lighting manufacturer, on the initiation and implementation of insolvency protection proceedings.*
- LOEWE, the insolvency administrator, on the sale of assets to various investors in the course of insolvency proceedings.*
- An English private equity fund on the restructuring and initiation of self-administration proceedings for a distressed portfolio company in the shipping sector.*
- An international private equity fund on the acquisition, restructuring and subsequent sale of a leading German hospital group for plastic and aesthetic medicine.*
- A foreign investor on the acquisition of German fashion company Strenesse AG in the context of self-administration proceedings.*
- RENA, the parent company of a machine and plant manufacturer in the solar sector, both before and during self-administration proceedings in the dual-track process.*
- Shareholders in Scholz Group, a global metal recycling group, on its sale to Japanese trading group Toyota Tsusho Corporation.*
- A German software service company in an investor process from insolvency with the participation of the major German car manufacturers.*
- A German Bundesliga football club* on restructuring matters.
- A European corporate group in the plant engineering sector with global distribution to develop an insolvency plan.*
- The management of a European automotive supplier, providing crisis consulting, in the context of an investor solution.*
- A German group of medical and diagnostics companies, providing restructuring advice to the board of directors.*
- A European automotive group on restructuring and financing through a German private equity company.*
*before joining Norton Rose Fulbright
- Restructuring – The Legal 500 Deutschland 2015
- Business Judgement Rule versus Creditor Protection? Practical considerations on directors' liability in the context of the Corporate Stabilisation and Restructuring Act (StaRUG) (Business Judgement Rule versus Gläubigerschutz? Praktische Erwägungen zur Organhaftung im Kontext des StaRUG), Bea/Dressler - essay in NZI 2021, 3
- Current issues in the design of legal advice in self-administration (Aktuelle Fragestellungen bei der Gestaltung der anwaltlichen Beratung in der Eigenverwaltung), Bea/Fischer – essay in NZI 2019, 15
- Digital change in management liability – current framework conditions for CxOs in Germany – speech at the Handelsblatt 15. Annual Restructuring Conference 2019
- Director's liability in self-administration – dancing on the volcano – speech at the Handelsblatt 14. Annual Restructuring Conference 2018
- Pre-insolvency group restructuring – Chairing the conference session at the Handelsblatt 13. Annual Restructuring Conference 2017
- Pitfalls in determining the obligation to file for insolvency – panel discussion at the Frankfurt Insolvency and M&A Forum 2016
- Einhorn & Co. – avoiding the risk of insolvency contestation in M&A transactions – speech at the Frankfurt Insolvency and M&A Forum 2014
- Distressed Ladies – Women in Restructuring e.V., member of the management board and co-founder
Blog | August 15, 2023
Publication | June 15, 2023
Publication | June 15, 2023