Related services and key industries
Matthew Thorn is a restructuring and insolvency lawyer based in London.
Matthew has extensive experience acting for debtors, creditors, insolvency practitioners, directors and other stakeholders in financial restructuring transactions, almost all of which include a cross-border element. He advises enforcement and formal restructuring and insolvency processes. His recent focus has been on the shipping, offshore, aviation and infrastructure sectors.
Matthew also acts on general banking and finance matters.
Matthew has been at the firm since 2010 having previously worked for a leading law firm in New Zealand.
- Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
Advising / acting for:
- Senior secured lenders and co-ordinating committees of lenders - on the financial restructuring of major international shipping and/or offshore groups.
- The indenture trustee - on the English schemes of arrangement for the US-based syncreon Group.
- Citigroup and other lenders - on the US$2.2bn restructuring of the NYSE listed Danaos Group.
- A UK-based international infrastructure group - on refinancing its working capital, asset finance and bonding facilities.
- Certain foreign landlords - on the CVA and administration of a retail group.
- The administrators of an oil tanker group - including on the sale of assets and exit from administration.
- A Middle Eastern conglomerate - on its multi-billion dollar debt restructuring.
- A European export credit agency - on the global restructuring of Abengoa S.A..
- Senior lenders - on restructuring and subsequent administration of an offshore supply group, including the sale of a bespoke pipe-laying vessel and equipment.
- A lender - on the restructuring of its exposure to a commodity client, including application for summary judgment in the English High Court and enforcement of security across Europe.
- A European bank - in the US Chapter 11 proceedings of Excel Maritime.
- The senior lenders - on the financial restructuring and recapitalization of an international packaging group listed on the Athens stock exchange.
- The restructuring of a number of energy supply companies.
Publication | December 20, 2022
Publication | August 22, 2022
Publication | February 05, 2021