Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Jonathan Silver is a banking and finance lawyer based in Hong Kong. He is the Head of Shipping for the North Asia region. He is a Notary Public appointed in Hong Kong and Co-Head of our Marshall Islands practice.
Jonathan’s areas of focus include shipping (advising owners and banks on shipbuilding contracts, performance guarantees, refund guarantees and general shipping-related disputes), asset and lease-based financing (yellow goods, shipping and aviation) and project financing (shipping, export credit, structured trade and commodity finance, pre-export finance, borrowing-base finance, trade finance, oil and gas) and general banking and finance.
Jonathan read Mandarin with subsidiary Cantonese at the School of Oriental and African Studies (S.O.A.S.), London University and law at City University, London (Diploma in Law) and City University of Hong Kong (Postgraduate Certificate in Laws).
He speaks fluent Mandarin and conversational Cantonese.
- admitted in the Republic of the Marshall Islands 2017
- Notary Public, appointed in Hong Kong
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- Solicitor, qualified in Hong Kong
- Solicitor, qualified in Ireland 2017
Shipping and shipbuilding
- advising Asian, European and PRC shipowners on a broad range of issues relating to the construction of newbuild vessels at PRC yards (including drafting and negotiating shipbuilding contract documentation)
- advising European and PRC banks on matters relating to refund guarantees, payment guarantees and performance guarantees under shipbuilding contracts
- advising shipowners on the sale and purchase of ships
- advising shipowners and banks on the registration of title to ships and ship mortgages on the Shipping Registry of the Hong Kong Marine Department
Banking and finance
- advising European and PRC banks on all types of ship lending, including debt finance and cross-border lease finance transactions
- advising Asian banks on structured trade and commodity finance transactions
- advising manufacturers, sellers and suppliers on structured supply contracts, factoring and receivable purchase agreements
- advising European and PRC banks on the financing of deepwater oil fields offshore Angola
Norton Rose Fulbright advises on the US$1.2 billion financing and delivery of the world’s first converted FLNG production vessel “Hilli Episeyo”
June 26, 2018
November 08, 2017
August 09, 2017
Publication | December 2018
Publication | January 2017
Publication | October 2016