Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Joe is a financial services regulatory lawyer based in London.
Joe advises a range of financial institutions across the retail and wholesale financial services sectors, including credit institutions, investment firms, payment services institutions and non-bank lenders.,
Joe focuses on the regulatory framework applicable to retail financial services and products, including the FCA's new Consumer Duty. Joe also specialises in the financial services legal and regulatory framework for retail wealth management, anti-money laundering, corporate governance (including the SMCR), retail banking and the consumer credit regime. Joe has advised firms on a number of internal investigations, remediation projects and lessons learned exercises and works closely with colleagues in assisting firms dealing with regulatory investigations.
Joe has a particular interest in Fintech and policy development and has worked with international development institutions and central banks to develop new legislative and regulatory frameworks for financial services in their jurisdiction.
Joe is an author of the money laundering chapter of Financial Services Law (Oxford University Press) Financial services regulation.
· Advised a UK Bank on the successful repayment of its deposits, the completion of its solvent wind-down process, and in respect of the ongoing management of its supervisory relationships.
· Advised a UK GSIB on the establishment of its new retail investment management platform, including providing assistance on the creation and launch of its new Model Portfolio Service, related advisory services and the migration of a back-book of customers and products across investment platforms.
· Advised the European Bank of Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) and Central banks in a number of jurisdictions on the creation of crowdfunding regimes, including the interrelationship between these regimes and existing investment/wealth management and lending requirements in those jurisdictions.
· Advised credit institutions and investment firms on corporate governance related matters, including undertaking internal reviews and advising on compliance with the UK's Senior Managers and Certification Regime.
· Worked closely with a range of firms, including Banks and asset managers on the implementation of the FCA's Consumer Duty, including the production of a Consumer Duty Toolkit for firms.
· Advice to retail and wholesale firms on UK financial services law and regulatory requirements, including MIFID II requirements on investor protection measures, product governance, costs and charges, inducements, conflicts of interests, investment advice, and broader UK regulatory requirements relating to investment business.
· Advised a number of European Banks on their re-authorisation processes as third country branches in the UK following Brexit, and assistance with compliance with the UK's Temporary Permissions Regime and Financial Services Contracts Regime.
· Advising a start-up peer-to-peer platform on the UK financial services regime, particularly in relation to consumer credit. Assisting with its full authorisation, and subsequent launch of its secondary marketplace;
· Anti-money laundering and counter-terrorist financing (AML/CTF) advice to several domestic and international banks, including drafting AML/CTF policies and providing advice on cross border business.
· Advising on several transactions relating to the acquisition of financial services firms and/or products/services across retail and wholesale market sectors. Advising investment firms on white-label trading arrangements with other institutional clients.
Podcast | February 06, 2024
Publication | November 24, 2023
Podcast | September 29, 2023