Norton Rose Fulbright South Africa Inc
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Georg is a corporate lawyer in our mining practice. He was formerly the head of the firm's mining practise.
Georg has extensive experience in public and private mergers and acquisitions; capital markets, commercial property transactions and regulatory matters (mining, securities regulation and pharmaceutical law). He also has a broad range of general commercial law experience, including ESG, with a particular focus on corporate governance.
He has experience in a broad range of sectors, specifically focusing however on extractive industries (primary mining and all associated downstream and related industries), fin-tech, financial services and BEE transactions.
He has been the lead lawyer on some of the most significant mining M&A transactions in South Africa in recent years.
Georg holds the degrees of BA (UCT) LLB (UCT), HDip Company Law (I & II) (WITS) and Mining Law Certificate (WITS).
- Advised BP Plc on the disposal by its South African subsidiary, BP Southern African of its liquid petroleum gas (LPG) business in South Africa. Addax & Oryx Group (AOG) subsidiary Oryx Energies acquired the LPG distribution businesses and BPSA’s 45%-owned Masana Petroleum Solutions subsidiary.
- Advised JSE listed mining speciality and chemicals group AECI’s wholly owned subsidiary Improchem Proprietary Limited in the acquisition of Clariant Southern Africa’s water treatment business in Africa as well as its Southern African assets and a 50% shareholding in Clariant’s broad-based black economic-empowerment partner Blendtech. Transaction value: approximately ZAR400 million.
- Advised Rio Tinto on a deal where Rio Tinto Group and Anglo American Plc divested their 74,5% interest in JSE listed Palabora Mining Company (PMC). Transaction value: approximately ZAR4 billion.
- Advised Goldman Sachs Group Inc. in its role as underwriter in the raising undertaken by JSE listed unsecured lender, African Bank Investments Limited. Transaction value: approximately ZAR4 billion.
- Advised Absa Group Limited (controlled by Barclays Plc) in its acquisition of the private-label store cards of Edcon (Pty) Ltd. in South Africa. Transaction value: approximately ZAR10 billion.
- Advised Exxaro Resources Limited (Exxaro) when Exxaro and Tronox Incorporated merged Exxaro’s mineral sands operations with the businesses of Tronox under a newly-formed Australian holding company. Transaction value: approximately ZAR13 billion.
- Advised Exxaro Resources Limited in the acquisition of Total Coal South Africa (Pty) Ltd from Total S.A. Transaction value” approximately ZAR5 billion.
- Advised BCL Limited in its acquisition of Norilsk Nickel’s African operations (consisting of a 50 percent participation interest in Nkomati Nickel and Chrome mine in South Africa and an 85 percent stake in Tati Nickel mining company in Botswana). Transaction value ca. ZAR 3.7 billion.